House & Home Best front loader washing machine?!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Jacque, 20th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Electrolux is going well for 6 years now. I like that you can pause and open it within 5 min of start - in case you forget something.

BigKahuna likes this.
  2. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Thanks all- this is all very useful. Still going for the front loader after doing more reading... Bosch write ups were good, however appears to be conflicting opinions and experiences here. Repairman (on my 13 yr old Whirlpool) advises Electrolux as he hardly ever sees them for repairs.

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I've got a 9kg frontloader which is also capable of drying 4-5kg of washing if need be... handy.

4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

What brand please?

5. Gockie

Im goin to Wenty now but can look at it tomorrow night. Oh, and I made sure it also had a 30 min cycle... important as an airbnb host to not need to wait 2 hours for a load of washing...

EN710 likes this.
  6. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Cos no one buys them?

7. Jacque

LOL yes brand please @Gockie

8. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Bosch products including dishwashers come in 2/3 ranges quality and price wise. Some made in China that are ****, some better china ones, some in Turkey and some in Germany.

Mid range bosch is still good, cheap arse bosch isn't great.

Aeg, miele, Siemens etc are all good options too. Your cheaper ones will still do the job too of course but the quality of the wash might not be as good, eg how wrinkled the clothes come out

Sackie likes this.
  9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

We bought a second hand reconditioned Hoover top loader many years ago (perhaps 10-15 years). It's still going strong.

Sackie and D.T. like this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm also a lover of Asko. I had one through the baby years, probably more than 15 years of many loads per week. I went to a different front loader and just didn't like it as much as the Asko. When middle son moved house I gifted him my nearly new machine and bought another Asko.

Love Asko.

Edit: Just read some more posts. You can do short loads, long loads, no spin loads, drain it mid wash if you really have to remove something. My regular wash is 1 hour but there are plenty of shorter washes available.

11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

You can't go passed the heavy duty industrial ones (top loader ;))
    We had a few on a construction site to wash the guys uniforms. Towards the end of the job we replaced one with a home version front loader and it lasted a few weeks and didn't bother replacing it.
    We did flog them no pre rinsing or anything like that, concrete,dirt, other "matter ". Find a second hand or cheap industrial one and your set for life!

Scott No Mates likes this.
  12. neK

neK Well-Known Member

And that's where i messed up.
    The one i got is one grade above the lowest model.. :(
    Speaking to my mate at Bing Lee, for ovens he doesn't recommend the low end bosch ones either, however he says the upper end ones that are made in Germany are very good.... guessing that comment probably holds true for washing machines too.

That said, for the price of those high end ones, I'd rather buy two low end ones and wash smaller loads (provided there is space), i like to keep colours and whites separate... last time i forgot i ended up with multi coloured business shirts :(

sanj likes this.
  13. Jacque

Thanks seriously for all your input everyone- love this forum! :)

Sackie likes this.
  14. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

Just checked my machine - Bosch "Maxx Classic", not sure what range of Bosch it is. But touch wood, 7 years and no issues. It has a 15 minute cycle, but can't stop mid-way. My regular cycle is 1hour though. And it's not cool enough to double as a dryer!

15. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Miele are great.

16. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Fisher and Paykel (made in Turkey) front loader for about 5 years, has not missed a beat. Just about to order a Fisher and Paykel condenser dryer to match. One thing I love about front loaders is the extra space you get on top and ability to stack a dryer.

17. Gockie

LG washer and dryer 9kg/5kg, model WD-1290RD. And as I said earlier, it also has a 30min quick wash option. :)
    20160121_191711.jpg 20160121_191654.jpg

EN710 likes this.
  18. proper_noobie

proper_noobie Well-Known Member

Most front loaders won't last as long as a top loader.

They generally do a better job of washing clothes with much less water and energy, as long as you don't use the heater which isn't necessary.

This type of advice is dangerous. Electrolux are well known for common serious, irrepairable and expensive faults that commence in the years after the warranty expires and for extreme poor design where a coin or button will destroy the machine. Google the Electrolux spider failure and coin failures - these are the most common problems that costs $400+ to repair and will fail again after a few years. It's always better value to get a new washing machine that was designed by a competent company.

Most brands have their weak points due to planned obsolescence, however the Electrolux front loaders have the most expensive problems.

While your machine is working, sell it and buy a cheaper machine that will most likely last 3-10 times longer like a Samsung, LG or cheap Euro model.

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Do you mean as long as an old school top loader that went forever - they all used to be like that.
    When did front loaders start?

20. proper_noobie

proper_noobie Well-Known Member

Averaged, top loaders last much longer than front loaders. The stats are skewed by manufacturers producing disposable junk front loaders.

Top loaders have half the water seals and are much simpler as a mechanical device compared to a front loader.

A good front loader should last 15+ years before the seals and other rubber parts need replacing. A good top loader should last triple that.

Use less detergent to make your machine last longer. Depending on how soiled the clothes are, the minimum amount to achieve the same cleanliness is usually less then half the recommended amount on detergent packets.