Best external timber finish ? Intergrain ?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by See Change, 19th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

We have to revarnish some external wood work - natural finish and was wondering what is the most durable around .

Not concerned about cost , just want to maximise the time before I have to do it or pay for someone to do it again . This is on our weekender , waterfront , exposed to full brunt of southerlis etc .

One tradie suggested Intergrain .

Has anyone had experience with this or suggestions based on long term experience .

Cliff

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Id go a Sikkens product or indeed a marine product

ta
    rolf

willair likes this.
  3. Gav

Gav Well-Known Member

I have been doing a lot of research on this as we are having a new hardwood deck installed in our PPOR. If you go to the home renovate forums there are some very informative threads on there, it's a lot more complicated than I thought. From what I understand you have 2 main choices:-
    Water based - lasts a bit longer, more difficult to apply, but a bugger to clean (basically a resand) if you dont do it regularly enough.
    Oil based - easy to apply, doesent last as long, not such a big drama if you dont reapply in a timely fashion.
    I have decided to go oil based, and will try the cutek cd50 oil which gets a lot of recommendations.
    Intergrain does both products, I have used there stain in the past and was very happy with it.
    Happy reading on homerenovate!!!!

4. xanh

xanh Active Member

I used Sikkens on my deck as it had a lot of good reviews. I wanted oil as I didn't want to run into a point where I had to sand it. Its easy to apply and you can just reapply coat after coat.

The downside is perhaps longevity. I redo mine every couple of years. If its sheltered from the weather it will last longer.

5. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

I use Aussie Clear on my decks. It is an oil based and I find it very good. Our deck is only 12 months old so like any wood it is sucking it up quite a bit. Looks great though!!!

6. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

I actually was under the impression that oils needed to be resanded before application.

I use 'Spa and Deck' by Floods, which is water based. Just pressure wash the deck and apply while wet. 2 hrs between coats. 3 coats done in a day and lasts 9 months-ish on a fully-exposed west facing merbau deck. I have a beachside getaway where I use the same product and it lasts ~12 months as trhe area has a roof. In both cases a pressure wash then reapply.

GapPhantom likes this.
  7. Gav

Gav Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm no expert by any means, I guess if it gets bad enough anything will have to be sanded back, which is not much fun. Spa n Deck was the most recommended water based one if I remember correctly, one guy on those forums was a pro deck restorer, and that was what he used and recommended, for ease of application etc.

GapPhantom likes this.
  8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would also vote for Sikkens /cetol filter 7 plus,but i have only used thIS on external cladding windows silky-oak and red cedar ,and have used it for over 25 years ..Once this gear sets on double coats and let it set for 20 hours and with 14-18m2/L from my experience it is very costly ,heavy fumes for days ,but it will stand up too salt air..imho..
    http://www.woodworkers.com.au/contact-us/37-woodworkers-brookvale

Sikkens

Last edited: 23rd Nov, 2016
  9. WallyB66

WallyB66 Well-Known Member

Just used Sikkens on PPOR but the Spa and Deck from Flood gr8 too- even did the outside furniture with it- still looks OK after 4 years