NSW Best examples of properties with granny flats for sale now in SYDNEY

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by masterjoey1991, 27th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. masterjoey1991

masterjoey1991 Member

Hey PC!

I want to see the best examples of stand alone houses or duplexes with granny flats on them!
    Really keen for a great investment with a granny flat for that sweet sweet extra income!

Give me links, tell me why it's soo good ;)

AndyPandy likes this.
  2. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Perhaps you could share some too?

sumterrence likes this.
  3. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    so you want everyone else to do the digging, and send you the links?

Propertunity and sumterrence like this.
  4. euro73

Here's one in an outer southern suburb of Sydney called Goulburn.... certainly delivers on the "sweet sweet extra income" at 16K net per annum.

DJI_0006.jpg DJI_0011.jpg DSC09556.jpg DSC09573.jpg DSC09594.jpg DSC09627.jpg DSC09675.jpg DSC09733.jpg DSC09766.jpg

bamp and sumterrence like this.
  5. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

@euro73 I spoke to this granny flat builder and he believes houses with attached granny flats are not the best idea, as he said noises can be heard on both sides as sound travels through the roof. I was like is this bloke serious as I cant see that happening, as the firewall goes through the ceiling plus sound proofing.

6. euro73

Well, I can only tell you this. Some people do them well. Some people don't do they very well.

We started delivering these in Orange and Bathurst about 4 years ago, and they attracted about 420 per week for the house and about 220 per week for the Granny Flats . Today, they get 440 and 270 .... so obviously we are doing something right. When we started,builders and local tenancy managers, and plenty on here poo poo'd the idea - they said no one wanted granny flats. They said they were dog boxes. They said they would fail. They said lots of nonsense..... but the results are there for all to see.

In Goulburn, we just finished 8 of them and they are getting 490 and 290-300 , and the tenancy managers have a waiting list , so it appears we got it pretty right there as well....

Eventually, people are going to figure out what we figured out quite some time ago.

1. demographics are shifting so these types of properties are attractive to many people as places to live
    2. investors wishing to build and hold portfolio's need to improve their cash flows and retire debt or they will hit ceilings and repayment challenges and stay there, and these types of properties deliver the ability to do those things better than any other resi product
    3. you can hold several of these and stay under the land tax thresholds

You can choose to see the landscape for what it has become and will continue to become, or you can see it for what it used to be and won't be again...

Explore 36 Aston Martin Drive, Goulburn in 3D

act3548, Zimplestiltskin and Rich2011 like this.
  7. mickyyyy

@euro73 You dont have to convince me, i've been sold on it for some time now. I'm trying to work out the best way to do them on my properties in Wsyd. Have you ever experienced noise travelling to other side of dwelling as mentioned above?

8. euro73

We do as you have suggested. firewall and insulation... in fact, my builders double up on it to make sure there is no noise transfer

9. mickyyyy

Your builders do work in Sydney?

10. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

granny flats sharing the same roof, it is like cojoined twins....
    (this is an aesthetic comment), nothing to do with rental yields.

11. euro73

too busy elsewhere :) we have a waiting list out to Nov/ Dec ....

12. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Best way to get an unofficial buyers agent without having to pay

13. virhlpool

virhlpool Well-Known Member

14. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

Very nice.

Are these considered one property?
    Is gas/elec split?

I have been considering this and actually live in this situatiom with family. It's pretty common in Germany to have multiple generations living in houses that are split in to apartments. Rather than building up, this builds out.

If it is one property and gas/elec is shared then have you designed the places to be converted into one large house?

15. euro73

We don't list these on domain or realestate.com.au ..... You can only get these by coming to us directly. This particular property was @ 660K turn key. Land was mid 700 M2 from memory

Screenshot 2020-08-03 15.00.23.png

David_SYD likes this.
  16. euro73

Individual water, gas, electricity and NBN but on a single title. So one set of council rates - but two sets of bins :)

17. euro73

Here's a different one....also in Goulburn NSW DJI_0688.jpg DJI_0691.jpg DSC00422.jpg DSC00419.jpg DSC00411.jpg DSC00321.jpg DSC00336.jpg DSC00359.jpg DSC00349.jpg DSC00331.jpg

Last edited: 3rd Aug, 2020
  18. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I've seen the ones in Orange. They look good. Thanks @euro73

19. Goldy

Goldy Member

What is your company so I can get more information. I’m interested in goulburn

20. euro73

You would need to approach me directly via a PM. I dont advertise via a website or via domain or realestate.com.au . I work with clients one on one to ensure they understand the cash flow and debt reduction strategy, can get the borrowing capacity etc- before I release plans, drawings etc to them. So you would need to move very quickly. I released 5 of our last 9 packages last week and all were taken same day. Releasing 4 more later this week.... that will probably be the last packages for Goulburn.... As it stands right now, land prices have jumped 40-50K and there are very few lots available . What is left tends to be either the expensive riverfront lots or lots with significant fall and requiring @ 30K additional costs for earthworks and retaining walls. Our model is to secure level, or near level lots for our clients and those are all taken now. ( aside from the last 4 I will be releasing ) Some lots may come up here or there from local builders who have overcommitted, or the odd rescinded contract that fails to settle, but aside from those few possible opportunities, all the suitable lots for our model are now taken. We (the builders and I ) are looking at other locations for 2nd half of 2021.

Last edited: 22nd Nov, 2020