Best Country Town Awards: Goondiwindi, Margaret River, Katherine, Woodend, Margate, Griffith, Nairne

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Stacey, 15th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Stacey

Stacey New Member

I've been following the awards given to the best Country Town in each state by the Australian.

Goondiwindi:
    Goondiwindi is a small regional town South West of Toowoomba. It was found to outperform all other Queensland country towns thanks to its "surprise package" of above-average income, demographic diversity, low unemployment, a cohesive community and well-performing public services, according to The Australian newspaper.
    The town's economic diversity was another strong factor in its selection and its profitable local industries.

Is anyone else following this little town, or any of the others that won the awards? I imagine some good investment opportunities?

2. Smasher

Smasher Well-Known Member

How does that compete with the Tidy Towns awards?

3. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

Melbpositivegeared likes this.
  4. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

first went through goondiwindi 10 years ago and it' always been at the back of the mind as I did like the place.
    Having said that I wouldn't bother unless I could get a yield of 8%

Stacey likes this.
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We travel through Goondiwindi a few times a year. It is a very prosperous looking little town, always hard to get a park in the Main Street, we never see any vacant shops and usually have to queue at the bakery or to get petrol.
    Marg

6. Melbpositivegeared

Melbpositivegeared Well-Known Member

My units in Gundy see insane yields, and rent has climbed pretty steadily over the past 18 months.
    I love the town - You don't really see any run down buildings, the shops are always full, the people are super friendly.
    There's A LOT of infrastructure ticking by. New estates being built, a boarding school was just completed. New council head quarters.
    My vacant units fill in no time at all - And the market will get even tighter when the abattoir starts being built at the end of the year.
    I hear the mill is expanding and they've had a big algae farm approved (Which will become product for live stock feed).
    Inland rail is coming too.
    I've noticed "days on market" decreasing rapidly since the abattoir was approved and there's talk of a lot of interstate and overseas money coming in to town.
    Also - cotton really supports the fashion industry there - Whenever an abattoir opens the wool industry takes off too. I imagine the already huge fashion market is going to rapidly take off.
    Lastly the retail centre is huge. It has McDonnalds, Red Rooster, Target, Mitre 10, 2 major supermarkets, heaps of restaurants, a number of pubs - It feels like being in the suburbs of Sydney.
    And even though it's a tiny town, the major banks all seem happy to lend there (I'm refinancing and haven't experienced any dramas)
    So that's my vote for Goondiwindi - LOL

WattleIdo and Redwing like this.
  7. Melbpositivegeared

Standard yields are pretty low (The sign of a strong economy - They're somehow able to keep in line with Sydney). But being a small town if you're monitoring the market closely the odd bargain comes by. I was able to get higher than 8% but it's certainly not standard

WattleIdo likes this.
  8. Melbpositivegeared

The abattoir is set to become the largest single employer in town.... I can't imagine this doing anything other than lifting the market. My rental vacancies are already very low... when this starts being built I don't know where everyone will go...
    Interesting doctor and dentist stats though!

9. Melbpositivegeared

Yes most people first stumble on it by accident as it's on the intersection of 5 major highways.
    The bakery is soooooo good - but always a long wait to be served!

Marg4000 likes this.
  10. Stacey

Stacey New Member

I found the following information on the Tidy Towns Awards - This seems to be about sustainability alone. QLD did not enter this year:

These awards encourage, motivate and celebrate sustainability achievements of rural and regional communities across Australia. Each year state and territory winners are announced between August and November.

In 2018, the Keep Australia Beautiful finalists were:

State Finalist
    NSW Orange
    NT Finke (Apatula)
    SA Kimba
    TAS Smithton (2018 WINNER)
    VIC Beechworth
    WA Kalgoorlie – Boulder
    QLD No Competitor
    Tidy Towns has been running nationally since 1990, and began in Western Australia in 1968.

11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

It’s always our first stop when travelling the Newell from Brisbane.
    Wait at bakery well worth it!
    Marg

Stacey likes this.
  12. Stacey

Stacey New Member

I guess I'm heading to Goondiwindi - If only for the bakery!

I hear a lot of positive reports on Griffith too - Specifically the commercial property market. That's meant to be a growing industry

13. Stacey

Stacey New Member

Can you show me how to get 8%

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  14. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

While I don't disagree that Goondiwindi is a thriving town, I do think you're getting a bit over excited here.
    They are opening a cattle abattoir which has nothing to do whatsoever with the wool industry. Even less than the cotton industry has to do with the fashion market in an outback country town.

The cotton has always been there and wool is a relatively minor industry in the area but yes the abattoir will be great for the town.

Willy

Icarus likes this.
  15. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Margaret River! Must be the wine... Should rank first. Haha.

Redwing likes this.
  16. Icarus

Icarus Well-Known Member

I head out to Gundy once every 2 months for work - as Willy said, it's a thriving town and has good access to services and industry - but comparing it with a Sydney suburb is a big call!
    And while we have purchased/own property in regional areas in the past (Toowoomba, Mackay, Rockhampton, Pottsville and Dalby), I wouldn't buy in Gundy. I believe Warwick would be a better option, due to proximity, services and industry, but I'm not rushing in to buy something there either!

Marg, if you've never stopped at the Inglewood bakery on your way through, I'd really recommend a visit. Hands down better than the Gundy bakery - and you don't have to wait too long to be served! :)

Marg4000 likes this.
  17. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

@Melbpositivegeared

Gundy?

Gundy is a tiny settlement on the Pages River. Realistically it is nothing more than a pub and a general store. The appeal lies in the area with its huge horse studs, its connections with famous families and high profile personalities, and its decidedly English ambience with rolling hills that are, most commonly, verdant and peaceful.

18. Icarus

Icarus Well-Known Member

19. Melbpositivegeared

20. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Ah okay, Gun-duh-windy rather than Goon-di-windy