Best climber to cover a colourbond fence?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Whitecat, 8th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I have taken on board the suggestions to get wires put on the colourbond fences and plant climbers to eventually cover the metal fencing to make them like green walls.

I know star jasmine does well at finding wires and always like to reach upwards. However I have been told this can cause issues with tenants getting allergies.

Someone suggested potato creeper Solanum Jasmanoides instead.
    White Potato Creeper - Burke's Backyard
    I dont know much about that plant but I dont want something that I have to tie to the wires, I want to set and forget.

Any input welcome. Basically want to put on the wires, plant the climbers, wrap them around a bit and then just water periodically until they can survive on their own and on their own volition, fill the gaps between the wires.

2. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Star Jasmine is pretty good but takes a while to establish itself, then goes nuts and requires regular trimming. It likes good sunlight.

With any creeper they are never really "set and forget", you have to train them a little to spread evenly to start with, or they just go in a particular direction.

It depends how far it is away from the house, maybe it won't be a problem. Nearly anything can cause allergies if they are susceptible to a particular plant(s). The next thing to worry about is certain plants causing illness in pets that like to eat them (?). You can never win!

How many hours of sun does this fence get a day? That is probably the prime factor you need to consider here. If it doesn't have the right conditions (light and nutrition) it will either grow very slowly, or die.

Whitecat likes this.
  3. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Is it a large area? I don’t know much about this plant but someone gave me one 18 months ago and grows well. Magnificent Moonflower Vines | Triangle Gardener Magazine I’m hoping it’s not too weedy but so far so good. I react really bad to Jasmine but not as much with Star Jasmine.

4. Whitecat

People on FB were saying a climber like Jasmine can affect the fence due to weight. However I would have thought colorbond would be tough enough. I guess that depends how well concreted in it is

5. Maplesmatta

Maplesmatta Active Member

How will you attach wire to the fence? Lattice could work.

The plants considered potato vine and star jasmine use tendrils not suckers so wont attach directly to the fence.

wylie and Whitecat like this.
  6. Whitecat

Run wire cables between the posts. Although I have come back around to just putting hedging plants in front. Less hassle.

14022 likes this.
  7. Maplesmatta

Maplesmatta Active Member

Of the plants I would prefer star jasmine .

Reason being not deciduous ,so more attractive in winter.

And smaller leaf which, this is a throwback to my bonsai training where small leaf is more attractive.
    Allergy thing might be a myth .Jasmine in so many gardens if not yours then next door

8. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

I have Honeysuckle covering part of a colourbond fence. I ran wires vertically from top to bottom using curtain hooks, which just hook onto the top and bottom horizontal sections. After a while it uses itself as a trellis and you can train it to go where you want. It can be a bit overenthusiastic though and will get going into other plants if they're close by. It's easy to prune by hand though.

Attached Files: