Best approach for my situation

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Hodge, 26th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Choicelend

2. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Unfortunately not unencumbered.

3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Is the LOC for personal use (ie PPOR) or for the IP?

If so...there is no concern just put the amount against LOC and drawdown as needed as there is no tax concerns issues..

4. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

If you are intending to convert said property to an IP down the track there will be, as in no interest deductions.

5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Remember it is an LOC...since it was PPOR converting to a IP ...you can still pull the money out of the LOC ..inform the bank you want to make an IP (ensure the loans reflects this) and voila...you can deduct interest.

What you do with a PPOR and structuring is ok so long as it is not done after it is an IP.

6. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

The LOC is a separate spilt so can be used to fund the PPOR build. The issue will be i will have an IP loan offsetting 100% of the interest so no tax deduction on loan, and will be creating a new loan that i won't be able to claim as it will be personal use. Hope that makes sense.

7. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Best to talk to your broker before making any changes - there may be specific reasons why he has set up your loans in a certain way. Also we get paid trail commission to manage this sort of thing.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. sash

sash Well-Known Member

The I would look at restructuring that loan with same lender.

You need to be crisp on what you want...probably good to talk to a broker...but you need to drive this. Be very clear on what you want.

9. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Thats a very good point and I make it known to all my clients that once the loan settles we are still here for you as that is why we get paid a trail - to provide ongoing service.

Banks staff are transactional in nature (all about them, bonuses, vouchers, meeting KPIs) where a good broker is strategic (all about you and your short medium and long term goals).

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Unfortunately choicelend don't have an offset account facility so would need to refinance to another bank.

I did go through a broker and this isn't his fault. I originally wanted the funds for an IP but a year later decided to use the money for a PPOR.

11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Some great rate products with offsets....to help you offset any cost i leaving.

Good luck.

Good learning here...you need to be crisp in term of future outcomes also...ultimately you are in drivers..and good on you for stepping up....

Hodge likes this.