Berlin to freeze rents for five years

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Piston_Broke, 8th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Please note in our so called free healthcare system

We pay Medicare levi 1.5% approximately non negotiable only goes up.

$400 per months private health care we have to have or we get charged a Medicare levy surcharge which is even more.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Do you get some sort of discount? Everyone else pays 2%

Linky

If wages in the lucky country haven't increased in 10 years nor has the amount paid (except for population growth).

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

And we are all subsidised as a result...to some degree or other. That’s why it’s such a good system.

Last edited: 13th Jul, 2019
    wylie likes this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I understand that with Private Hospital cover for high-income earners, generally the hospital part of the premium is a lot lower than cover for hospital and extras combined. You can probably get acceptable Pvt Hospital cover closer to $200 per month for a family or a couple.

5. kingstreet75

kingstreet75 Well-Known Member

No but it does get you thinking about ways around Australian property ponzi, when you can compare Australia to other countries.

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

How do they do residential housing in China?

7. kingstreet75

They just build a ton of units. An economics teacher at school explained it to me.
    When America prints money, China can't sell it's currency like they do. So to compete with the US dollar, they just look around the cities they've already built and think ' The people and machines are there, let's just spend this extra printed money we are not using. There are millions of empty apartments all over China. Main reason I came here as in Oz it's share housing or dodgy apartments, not much in between. I rent a new loft for 500 aussie bucks a month. Everyone can afford their own room and kitchen here.
    Interestingly China is copying a new model from Singapore. You pay about 20k and get a 30 year lease on an apartment. You can't own property in China for more than 70 years anyway so it's a good model for them.

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Well, compare it to Vienna. Over 60% of housing is owned by the government and tenants are on subsidised rents. Think it will happen here?
    Marg

kingstreet75 likes this.
  9. kingstreet75

Thanks Marg. Didn't know that.
    47% of people rented in 2018. Of that percentage, some do that by choice, but some are stuck for life. It's projected to be over 50% in the next few years. And those people vote.
    Build to rent will naturally be looked at, but knowing Australian politicians and the way they do infrastructure here, it will be stuffed up.

10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Thanks for this, it is as I thought. How is employment in China then, for an Ozzy, or are you Chinese? Sorry, I'm not being mean, I am genuinely interested in how life happens in other cultures.

I am a bit familiar with life in Singapore, and it seems pretty good to me, from what I know.

11. turk

turk Well-Known Member

The ABS census had the 31% of people renting in 2016, where did you get the figure of 47% in 2018, that's a 50% increase in 2 years, find that very hard to believe.

Census 2016: Renting population growing as Great Australian Dream fades

Put the wrong data into your calculations and you get incorrect conclusions.

Look forward to your link to support your data.

12. kingstreet75

One in five Aussies believe will never be able to afford their own home and will be stuck renting for life.

[​IMG]Clearly housing affordability remains a high hurdle for many Australian household as research released by finder.com.au found that 3.6 million renters believe they may be renting for the rest of their life”.

The survey of more than 2,000 Australians found that while the majority (57%) of Australians were already living in their own home, a substantial proportion (43%) were renting
    Link

13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I doubt the Australian Govt wants to build housing - they gave that idea away about forty or fifty years ago. You know how the Indigenous Australians have a very deep love of their land, well white settlers do too - there are only a small number of different demographics who take up apartment living, they seem to be the more recent arrivals from Asia, US and parts of Europe where apartment living is the norm. The Brits and Southern Europeans - I dont think i'm allowed to say Wogs any more, but a Wog House is as iconic Australian as the Opera House. Anyway we seem to be obsessed with our rectangular slabs of dirt in the suburbs.

14. kingstreet75

My mistake, 43%

15. kingstreet75

Just not enough foreign teachers in China. With a few years experience and a basic degree of any sort you can be earning 60,000 a year in China. It costs about 1000 dollars a month to live ( all bills, insurance ) or less if you set your mind to it. But living abroad has its disadvantages as well. Not contributing to super, health system here, pollution, and other things.

16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Nah, that was 47% of those surveyed, not 47% of renters. (or 43%) As much as Yardley is reasonably reliable, I'll believe the ABS over someone with a vested interest in the topic. He wants to sell something, probably IPs to landlords.

17. kingstreet75

A finder.com.au survey of more than 2,000 Australians found that while the majority (57%) of Australians were already living in their own home, a substantial proportion (43%) were renting.
    So you doubt this figure? I have no interest either way. But without a doubt the proportion of renters is set to grow.

Swinburne University
    “There are currently 425,000 people in lone person or couple households over 50 renting in Australia with this number expected to rise to 600,000 by 2030 and again to 830,000 by 2050.

Last edited: 14th Jul, 2019
  18. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Completely doubt this figure, you're comparing and accepting a survey of 2000 people against the ABS census figures.

Perhaps you should get you're economics teacher to teach you the difference between a census and a small survey.

craigc, wylie, Toon and 2 others like this.
  19. kingstreet75

I don't think there is any reason to be smart about it and make it personal. I am just sharing the article. The point is, many people say the proportion of renters is going to grow. According to Swinburne Uni that is.

20. turk

turk Well-Known Member

No, you didn't share an article in your original post, you just made a statement that 47% of people rented, which I pointed out as patently wrong with a link to support my position.

Do you believe it grew from the 2016 ABS of 30.9% to 43% in 2018?

The proportion may or may not grow over various time frames, but it has also in the past been higher than it is now.