Beneficial Christmas presents- idea's list (donations)

Discussion in 'Philanthropy' started by Stoffo, 21st Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

TBH, I've struggled for years to buy/receive presents :oops:
    Everything I find myself wanting I just buy :p
    So like many I know I'm near impossible to buy for o_O (excl alcohol :rolleyes:)

So have been rather impressed to receive this ;)
    20211221_205514.jpg
    A Royal Flying Doctors Service calander :cool:
    Not only something I will use and appreciate, but also assists the cause to help others :)

Feel free to add your idea's and suggestions :D

craigc and Propin like this.
  2. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

My friend was at Big W and noticed some gorgeous plants that usually sell for $100-$160 each were available for $44 for 2. She bought herself one before a lunch date with a friend then let me know thinking I may want one. It was a bit of crazy day for me, sons car having issues so he was using mine, migraine that was creeping up again despite tablet to stop it was not working. My husband had a really crap day at work also after a major stuff up and really didn’t want to go after work. I let my friend know, so after lunch she picked one up for me. Happy days! I’m pretty fussy too, hate clutter presents and plants and pots are what give me the most joy. So my present from hubby is sorted!!

I tried going last year without a calendar and it was horrible, I was so disorganised so that’s a pretty good gift too. My hubby got given one at work which he passed onto me already! D58DCAC1-0E74-4BB5-8401-CC0BC78ABB94.jpeg

Stoffo likes this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

A side track:
    Some of those sorts of plants sell for hundreds of thousands of AUD$ in Thailand

Propin likes this.
  4. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

In addition to items that a family member may specifically request, our family give presents from "Op Shops" (ie. Charity Stores)

We get quite a few laughs when opening these gifts, but the beauty is that the Op Shop benefits from the initial purchase and if the present is not wanted or liked it gets donated back to another Op Shop so everybody wins.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I believe @datto is right into pot plants too! Maybe you can do some swaps ;)

The Y-man

craigc, datto and Propin like this.
  6. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

That would be nice but unfortunately too risky as WA has the strictest import rules in all of Aus. I know a seller just had a huge shipment of Thai seeds incorrectly confiscated as they didn’t think they were packaged correctly and they admitted the mistake but it’s tough bickies!

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm still doing Kiva loans which is something that Somersoft got me onto. If someone did Kiva loans on my behalf I'd be pretty happy with that. Kiva - Loans that change lives
    I got 2 books and a small handbag for Christmas. That's all I wanted. I like books for Christmas as it gives me a good excuse to really slow down in the time between Christmas and New Years

Propin likes this.
  8. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

A yes, I’m already onto that but I’m tight so I try to pick up variegated for the same price of green and I’ve had a few scores! One in a thousand Monstera grown from seed is variegated but nursery’s remove them from sale to general public and sell to collectors or staff but occasionally they slip up. In your video the most expensive plant was Mint Monstera. I bought this Monstera amongst the greens for $5. One grower told me it was thrip damage, an Asian girl messaged me and said she thought it was Mint Monstera. I feel it may be something in between Mint And Aurea (yellow) monstera. The variegation is barely noticeable, then a light green and changes to yellow after about 4 months of changing colour daily. Some of my Monsteras are worth $100/leaf, some $200, not sure on the value of this one though! My house has an extension with windows on three sides so it’s the perfect propagation spot and I can grow plants all year long. F8FC7A13-7515-450B-8A85-CE67477D3357.jpeg 88A2D9D1-E6F5-485B-A3B4-2FAC964E0281.png

Terry_w likes this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Actually we are currently developing a super potent hybrid which will do well in WA.

You know, with all the stress of rising Covid numbers, this stuff will mellow McGowan out. He might even invite Palmer around for a session.

craigc and Propin like this.
  10. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

We did that for Kris Kringle for my walking group. Had to be something from an Op shop. Great idea.

I also made gifts this year. People don't need "stuff". I made jam, chutney, spice rubs, salted caramel sauce (OMG!!), fudge, cookies etc. Lot of work but i enjoyed it.

wylie, Stoffo and Propin like this.
  11. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Environmentaly friendly and reusable Christmas Card and present combined.
    Works for all other occasions as well.
    [​IMG]

wylie, Stoffo, geoffw and 2 others like this.