VIC Bendigo Suburbs!

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by ArchChris, 30th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Matyd

Matyd Well-Known Member

Cheers, all good

2. nevilleherbert

nevilleherbert New Member

Hi everyone,

Thoughts on buying in Golden Square (K-Flat end) vs White Hills? cheers

3. kmrr

kmrr Well-Known Member

Have I got this right?

upload_2021-5-11_21-39-56.png

4. Bendigus

Bendigus Well-Known Member

Yeah close enough. I wouldn't say that boundary is the be all and end all.

Perhaps you could include
    * the Quarry Hill Golf Club
    * A bit more of iron bark
    * East of Kennington reservoir too. Up to the bushland/creek that can be seen on the map
    * A few blocks North of point 2

aarond likes this.
  5. aarond

aarond Well-Known Member

Agree with Gus on the above, and I'm also a fan of the Spring Gully area - still good distance to the cbd, often older housing stock, very leafy, light traffic, etc...

Brisbane04 likes this.
  6. Bendigus

Yeah add in The One Tree Hill Hotel to the map area

Brisbane04 likes this.
  7. burns

burns Member

Hey guys
    Great to be able to read through all this insight, I’m looking at buying a IP with a max budget of 400k, I’m a cabinet maker so keen to buy something a bit run down to add some value through a cheap Reno then rent it out, considering putting in a offer on this house but unsure if the area is ok, does anyone know if this would be a ok part of golden square to buy in?5 Hollow Street, Golden Square, Vic 3555
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-golden+square-136369770

Brisbane04 likes this.
  8. Bendigus

I like it in there. Its so close to town and really quiet. I reckon it's the bland and leser appreciated side of golden square.

I'm hopeful that it sees bigger growth than the more glamorous side of golden square.

That house does need a bit of work though. So make sure you closely check it out.

I'm not actively looking to buy anything so I don't want to comment too much on price. I bought something much nicer in that area for less before covid. But now everything has grown. I still see future growth too which is the main thing.

9. seach4nge

seach4nge New Member

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the valuable information provided earlier. Particularly Bendigus' "golden hexagon" area of property ownership.
    In the last month or so, houses in this zone seem to be flipping after only 5-6 days on the market. It's a real knife-fight out there.

We currently commute to bendigo, and are looking at a <$550k (ideally <$500) property, 3-4br. Probably not looking to do heavy amounts of renovation if available.
    If we look beyond the ideal zone, I'm interested in your opinions on the corridor of suburbs going from the CBD all the way to Huntly (e.g. Lake Weerona area, Jackass Flat, White Hills, Epsom, Ascot, Huntly).
    We'd probably be living here for the next 5-6 years. When the "mass migration to regional towns" cools off a bit, does anyone see these new houses in the far outer (Huntly) being in-demand rentals?

Cheers!

10. ecca15

ecca15 Active Member

My buyers agent had me buy in Golden Square in 2018 and it’s been a tremendous investment. So my suggestion is Golden Square!

seach4nge likes this.
  11. Bendigus

This 63 Ellis Street, Flora Hill, Vic 3550 - House for Sale - realestate.com.au

Yes, it's over the road from a busy school. But it's a whopping block size in a great suburb. super close to Uni, close to town, close to a desirable school. It will always be rented. Or possibly could be subdivided whilst still keeping the front house.

The house isn't stunning, but it's functional and stable. The road is busy during pickup times etc.

But I think it's got great potential.

You're budget is high enough to squeeze into places better than Huntly

Brisbane04, seach4nge and aarond like this.
  12. aarond

aarond Well-Known Member

The furthest I would choose out that way is the border of White Hills and Epsom.

While not ideal, the previous poster's mention of Golden Square is sound, particularly parts closer to town.

seach4nge likes this.
  13. Xiao Hui

Xiao Hui Well-Known Member

With news like this - Bendigo as a trial town to open up certain venues to people just like before Covid, wouldn't it make the town just more desirable ? Compare this to Melbourne where people are still very much cooped up in their own homes.

Bendigo's house market is still roaring like no tomorrow. Titled lands are especially scarce now.

Attached Files:

14. aarond

aarond Well-Known Member

Not sure it would make a lot of difference as Melbourne is only a few weeks behind. But in saying that, nothing is stopping the intensity of this boom. Land seems to be going up around 4% per month, and there's just no new supply on the horizon

Brisbane04 and Bendigus like this.
  15. Bendigus

I think Aarond read my mind exactly

16. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

I dont think a trial of letting a few more people into a church , a gym and an art gallery will make any difference. Just more of Dictator Dan's grandstanding to take attention away from his failures and corruption. The rest of the world has already shown how it is done including NSW.

Last edited: 10th Oct, 2021
  17. fadami

fadami Member

Hi all, new member here and looking to possibly buy an IP in Bendigo. Thoughts on Long Gully? It's just outside the area suggested by Bendigus and others. Also, is it worth looking at properties that can be subdivided and developed? I'm an architect and can cut costs of design, permit applications etc. And possibly do some of the actual works myself.

18. Brisbane04

Brisbane04 Well-Known Member

Ascot is good as is White Hills. I’ve lived and invested here for many years any questions please ask

19. Brisbane04

Brisbane04 Well-Known Member

As with all areas there are good parts of a suburb and bad parts. As for Long Gully it’s had a bad reputation for as long as I know and there is certainly a lot of parts to avoid. Personally I would avoid. The mere mention of Long Gully brings up bad connotations. Feel free to contact me if needed. It’s nickname is Bong Gully. Take from that what you will. As for subdividing yeah there’s definately value there the market for land is also high. Cheers

Last edited: 23rd Oct, 2021
    fadami likes this.
  20. fadami

fadami Member

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia