Bedroom without a window

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jas56, 16th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone

We are renovating an old place we have bought. We had a verandah with windows which we are converting into walk in Robe. I think we will be able to keep only one window for opening after we put wadrobes etc.

We didn't realise initially that not having a window inside the bedroom would bother us.
    But now we have started thinking that we should have put a window above the bed.

The house is still under renovations, I asked the certifier and he said he will be charging $650 + GST. And he needs updated plans and basix before we build the window.
    I have a feeling it will altogether might cost us atleast $1500.

Wondering if it is worth spending that money on the other hand if we really need to do it, we should do it now!

How much does it bother people to have a bedroom with windows in it and does it effect the resale of house?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

upload_2021-8-16_16-34-12.png

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Ummmm YES
    Window is a must to make it "feel" like a bedroom...
    Based on what i see on TV, even prison cells have windows.

3. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

Yeh!! I am starting having that feeling now!!!!!
    It's just the money and the regret now that why didn't I think about it earlier :(

4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

If its $1,500 now, you're laughing.
    If you resell the house later, that $1,500 investment is probably going to translate to a gain of $50,000 to 150,000 (remember people buy with emotion).

(That's if it doesn't nag at your enough while you're living there that you decide to fix it 1 year after you've moved in).

WattleIdo, Firefly99 and Jas56 like this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Strange question. The Building Code of Australia REQUIRES a bedroom to have natural light - Part 3.8.4.2. Without that it is not a habitatable room and isnt a bedroom.
    Building approval would be required to change number of bedrooms and change habitable room spaces. This is to ensure BCA compliance. And an occupancy certificate.

https://www.builderassist.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/BCA96-Volume-Two-Amdt13.pdf Page 329. Superceded copy but Class 1 still has same rules.

Stoffo, qak, Jacque and 2 others like this.
  6. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

Thanks. It is strange that the renovations have been approved by the certifier and the council!! SO have they considered the windows in the walkin Robe as the ventilation.

I am bit annoyed that the draftsman did not say anything that time. He was actually saying that there will be a window in ensuite too so no need to worry about the bedroom.

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Yes I would say previously the windows in the sunroom created enough light and ventilation to allow it to be called a bedroom but if you are renovating and spending money I would definitely seek to improve it by putting in a window above the bed head.

Did they know you would be covering up the windows with your wardrobe cabinetry?

Even if this ends up costing $5k it will be worth it to have the window

8. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much @Westminster !! I am so glad and grateful for replies here. That assures me that even though its bit extra effort and money now but it will be worth at the end. Thanks again.

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

What is the door of the WIR made of? Is it translucent or clear glass?

The Y-man

10. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

The other option is to install an opening roof window/skylight but this can also be pricey.

Stoffo and Colin Rice like this.
  11. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

It will clear glass sliding door so yes we will get some light from there.

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not quite, you can use borrowed light & ventilation.

wylie likes this.
  13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This would explain why a Queenslander we once had with a bedroom in the middle of the house was able to be classed as a bedroom, by borrowing light and ventilation from the adjoining sleep out (long ago enclosed with windows).

Last edited: 17th Aug, 2021
  14. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

Yes true.
    Like I said earlier i don't know how certifier approved the plans without any window there and now he wants extra money to add a window :)

15. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Money well spent, just do it!

If you are undertaking Renos or doing a development always factor in 5%+ bigger costs, such as this one.

Last edited by a moderator: 17th Aug, 2021
    Jas56 likes this.
  16. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Why not, it's your house and your design, if it complies with standards, go ahead. I would have swapped the WIR and the bedroom. You don't need windows in the WIR. Without windows, hence light into the bedroom, you would feel like living in a dungeon. :)

Stoffo likes this.
  17. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

18. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

$1500 seems like a very small price to have a window in the master bedroom. Lack of would seriously affect resale. And if you need to do it later for resale why not do it now so you get the benefit of it while living there :) it’s a no brainer!

19. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

Thanks Yes, I spoke to the builder today and he also agreed without any hesitations. Now we are waiting to hear from the drafts man to see when he is ready to modify plans.

20. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

Yes we also thought that initially but apparently the wall between the WIR and the bedroom was the weight bearing wall and it was going to cost us big money for adding beams etc.

spoon likes this.