QLD Bedroom windows into garage?

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Mintle, 27th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mintle

Mintle Member

Hi all,

I've found a property I'm interested in as an IP but there is one thing holding me back - there's a garage attached to the house and there are two bedrooms with windows going into the garage. The bedrooms don't have any other windows.

It looks like the garage was built the same time as the house but it just seems like a strange thing to do. Property is in the Brisbane area.

Is this even legal? I'm a bit worried it may effect resale as well.

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Even if it is legal, it is highly undesirable to both prospective tenants and future buyers.

You want any IP to be as attractive as possible to future tenants, not one with obvious drawbacks. In a tight market it may not matter much, but when things slow you will be at a real disadvantage.

Archaon likes this.
  3. Mintle

Mintle Member

Agreed. Best I can think to do is a garage conversion and re-jig the internal layout of those bedrooms abutting the garage. A separate carport could easily be added to the house.

Not entirely sure what a garage conversion would cost. I would need to follow this up with some builders in the new year.

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

But can you relocate the bedroom windows? If so, surely you can do this while retaining the garage.

Unless you completely revise the floor plan, those bedrooms will still only have windows to internal rooms.

Is there another reason you are so keen on this property? If not, surely it would be better financially to choose one with a more practical layout rather than buying one needing fairly significant alterations?.

Perp likes this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I think it's a great idea.

Surely there comes a time when you're lying in bed wondering about your car and you just want to look at it. It happens to me a lot.

With a window onto the garage you probably don't even need to get out of bed to admire your car. If I could I'd like to have my car in the bedroom with me.

With the right tenant you get a premium return with that kind of set up.

6. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Haha, I’ve had similar discussions with my 17 year old

datto likes this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

If only I was 17.

Propin likes this.
  8. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

His bedroom is beside the carport but he needs to go out the front door to get to it. Sometimes I hear the door shutting at 10.00pmish, after my bed time anyway. I guess he’s just been lying in bed dreaming what he’ll change, than check on it. We have talked about cutting a wall out.

datto and Marg4000 like this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I think your son will be following my footsteps lol.

Propin likes this.
  10. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on how many other bedrooms there are as you probably couldn’t technically advertise them for rent as a bedroom. One of my properties has a huge garage which appears to have been transformed into an office (big enough for queen bed, etc,) then the rest is a single large garage with store room. There is a fixed window you can’t open but it’s on an outside wall, and a door that leads to the yard. When I lived there I used it as an office but with tenants it’s not easy to say that they can’t use it as a bedroom but half the tenants do. I really liked the set up And living there but I had a PM try to convince me to turn it back into a double garage. So I guess not everyone is going to like it.

Edit- but come to think of it I remember the PM ended up upsetting a few forum members with modifications and problems with a dodgy builder so her opinion may have been biased.

Last edited: 29th Dec, 2019
  11. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Or maybe you’ll be following in his. He has 4 cars.

datto likes this.
  12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess each generation gets better.

Propin likes this.
  13. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

They are nothing too exciting but keeps him busy doing engine swaps, etc, handed the plates in on 3. One is for racing, two are now spare parts, one is his road car.

craigc, Archaon and datto like this.
  14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

The Y-man

datto and Propin like this.
  15. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I always imagine datto having a huge collection of rego, VIN, ADR plates..... ready to go with whatever parts of cars that get welded together..... :eek::eek::eek::eek:

The Y-man

datto, Stoffo and Propin like this.
  16. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I’m starting to wonder if Datto is related to my son. A small snippet of his bedroom. There is heaps more hubcaps but the funniest part is the fender from his rollover! I have actually looked at homes for sale with a bedroom beside a four car garage with him in mind. 21285F95-B397-4196-9145-FA5F07B9903F.jpeg

datto likes this.
  17. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Last edited: 29th Dec, 2019
  18. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

There is actually quite a few that pop up. I can’t find the 4 garage listings but I’ve seen them in Woodvale, Landsdale, Greenwood, Bassendean. Wanneroo - Wanneroo sometimes not enclosed but around mid $500,000 and lots of land) The bigger 4 enclosed car-parking spaces are usually two storey. This one would have done the job though! Perth is such good value! https://m.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-wa-landsdale-121421818

This one not too bad https://m.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-wa-woodvale-129304114

19. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Oh too funny. I was just about to play a song, by the Radiators, and thought of you!

datto likes this.
  20. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Ahh, lol, wasn't THAT song was it?

I'm about to crack another bourbon UDL and then some head banging dancing.

Propin likes this.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.