Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Bedroom options- what is preferable?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Otie, 12th Jul, 2016.

1. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

In short, would you prefer a house with 2 normal sized bedrooms, plus 2 small bedrooms OR 3 normal bedrooms?

A question for PM's or anyone who wants to give an opinion.

We have just purchased a property, that is currently 3 bedrooms, plus dining room. We are about to do a renovation on the house, as it is all in its original 1975 state- each room is in a room in the houses, nothing is open.

I have the option make it into either 4 bedrooms plus dining room, or 3 bedrooms plus dining room.
    Which would be more attractive to both tenants and creating equity increases?

(There are hardly any 4 bedroom homes in the suburb as the suburb is mostly ex commission, and all the houses had 4 original floor plans, and they were all 2 bedroom, plus dining, though many that have renovated turned their dining rooms into third bedrooms. Ours has an extension of an extra bedroom and ensuite on it before we purchased.

1 bedroom is 5.2x2.8 (pretty large, 1 is 3.8x3 (pretty reasonable still), the other is 4.8x2.8.
    I would like to hear from PMs on whether they would have more demand for 3 bedrooms that size, or I could turn the 4.8x2.8 room into two 2.4 width x 2.8L bedrooms. Each would have it's own window, normal ceiling heights, and normal entry (same as rest of house) etc.

I would have thought a 4th Bedroom/or study would be preferred as you then have more options. I know personally I would choose the 2 smaller rooms over one big one if I had 2 other normal sized rooms aswell, especially if I had a baby or kids.

Otherwise another option to keep the rooms as full sized would be to turn the dining room into a bedroom (it is already pretty much a bedroom as it is just a room with a door), but I am planning to make it more open plan if we make it into a proper dining area. If we turn the dining into a bedroom, we lose an area to put a proper dining table, I would have to do some sort of good breakfast bar at the kitchen to seat 6 or so

(The property will also have an ensuite to the master, in addition to the small main bathroom.)

Last edited: 12th Jul, 2016
  2. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Not sure about the rental marketability side but from a valuation/refinancing side adding a bedroom is a better option.

3. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Well am not so concerned about adding rental value, just don't want to make in unmarketable to anybody, more equity is my end game either way

4. DaveM

DaveM Adelaide Buyers Agent & KFC Strategist Business Member

If its a single living and bath, then kids and teens would likely spend time playing in rooms so 3 good size rooms may be bettter than 4 tiny rooms

5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Why are the bedrooms so narrow?

With rooms that size I would be after min 3.5x3.5. Anyway of widening the bedrooms ?

Last edited: 12th Jul, 2016
  6. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

True, though 2 of the rooms would be average to biggish, and the other 2 small. There will be two bathrooms, one lounge room, kitchen area and separate dining. Though no second living room. May add a deck off the kitchen so there is outdoor area that is usable too if the budget stretches (if anything comes in under budget).

7. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

No way to widen them.

8. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Cut the 5.2 room in half. 2.4 X 2.8 is waaaay small for a bedroom. 2.6 X 2.8 is only marginally better. But still better.

9. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the 5.8 one can't be chopped on the short side due to access, it would have to be chopped on the long side leaving it too narrow and without a window. Think will just need to leave it as a 3 bedder, was hoping for a 4 bedder but don't think I can make it happen.

Sonamic likes this.
  10. jchan86

jchan86 Well-Known Member

Otie - for you to think about strategically first.... but what does the rental market in your location desire/prefer?

What's the minimum you can do to get a tenant in straight away with a respectable yield?

What return would you expect equity-wise for either option you choose?

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Our son has a house with two largish bedrooms, two small ones. One living room, huge deck, one bathroom, but a second toilet (and a third toilet downstairs under the house).

We turned a three bedder into a four bedder by moving a door and turning a long ago enclosed verandah into a bedroom. The old "third" bedroom (original to the house) was so tiny that it would fit a bed or a wardrobe... but not both.

Feedback from tenants for both houses is that people looking for four bedrooms expect a second living area. Both these houses have large decks, so for Brisbane, that is an extra living room for most of the year. But demand just isn't there (Holland Park and Coorparoo) for families who need the fourth bedroom because they also need more living areas.

When we were having our townhouse plans drawn up I called several agents who told me that four bedroom townhouses with small living areas had the same issues. Who wants four singles in a townhouse? Four singles would want a second living area, and so do families. Four singles also bring much more wear and tear and vehicles to park somewhere.

I'd ask some local sales and rental agents and make a decision once you've heard what the rental and sales market looks for in your area.

12. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I just thought it would increase value, however it seems the general consensus is that 3 good sized rooms are preferred when there's only one living room.

13. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Thanks
    I think I will leave it at 3 beds, then if ever down the track we wanted to change it we always could. I agree that if you need 4 bedrooms realistically it will be crowded without the second living room.