Bedroom opens into garage - floorplan

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by MsSassy27, 14th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MsSassy27

MsSassy27 Active Member

Hello, I would be interested to hear your thoughts on how to improve this property's floor plan. The garage internal doors opens into the master bedroom (sleeping areas). I am not impressed with this for security and fire safely reasons. I would like the master bedroom to have an ensuite and a wardrobe. Any advice on how to achieve this via renovation or extension are welcome!

Floorplan1.png

@Westminster @Brady

2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I see neither fire safety nor security as much of an issue, but still think it's a terrible layout. Unfortunately I can't see a simple way for you to change it while still having an ensuite and WIR.

3. MsSassy27

MsSassy27 Active Member

@spludgey
    I was thinking something like this? But it doesn't appear to be cost effective renovation/extension!

Attached Files:

Last edited: 14th Feb, 2020
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Apologies for clumsy attempt at mark up but can you park the cars in front of where they go now? Is there room on the side?

If so, could this work? Enlarge WIR, main bedroom where the cars currently park, old main becomes walk through extra TV room or study. You may have to shorten the verandah to allow cars to enter new garage (assuming there is room for new one there).

D0F92669-96FF-4C57-BF25-933AFC6238FC_1_201_a.jpeg

spludgey likes this.
  5. Chill2205

Chill2205 Well-Known Member

With minimal change to layout, how about having a corridor from behind the ensuite and have the WIR split?

upload_2020-2-14_16-16-6.png

Beano likes this.
  6. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I'd just block off that access, forget about the walkway and reconfigure to get the larger WIR.
    Garage can be accessed via rear door and into laundry. Put a roof over the walkway there if needed.

Shazz@, Archaon, significance and 4 others like this.
  7. wylie

I like this idea a lot. If you want security, and to stay warm and dry, you could roof and enclose just this short walkway (from garage door to laundry door).

Archaon likes this.
  8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Me too. I would just extend the rear verandah to have a door at the rear of the garage as the door into the master bedroom is just freaky.

PS don't tell hubby that having a door from garage to a master bedroom is a thing. He loves his cars and would love to be closer :p

Archaon likes this.
  9. wylie

Someone we know has installed a full height glass wall between his garage and living room... more like a huge display cabinet than a garage.

He has a "very" nice car and can look at it any time.

10. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Couldn't justify $ besides what's been mention, if don't like the access, block off - more space for WIR
    From garage can either come through the front or enter through back via laundry.

Or really wanted to, build garage other side, fill in current garage with extra bedroom, study, huge WIR, big ensuite extension. All S.T.C.C

11. MsSassy27

MsSassy27 Active Member

Thank you everybody! I attended the open house inspection and unfortunately I didn't move fast enough. This property went under offer/contract the next day. I found out when I tried to organised a second viewing appointment with the real estate agent.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia