Bedroom Aircon Replacement (due to a part not being produced)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by A.M.W, 24th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. A.M.W

A.M.W Well-Known Member

Hi, all.

I have an investment property in Kallangur QLD (house 3/1/3). I am still newbie investor since this is the only IP I have atm so any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The other day my PM told me that the aircon unit in one of the bedrooms has a crack tray what can not be replaced due to the part not being produced any longer.

PM got a quote to replace it with 2.5kw Kelvinator Reverse Cycle Inverter Split System which will cost $1430 including the installment. Is this a reasonable quote or replacement for an aircon unit in a bedroom?

What should be my instruction to the PM? I was thinking to ask the PM to get a 2nd quote with a less powerful aircon unit perhaps? I did dome research in PP and found that 2.5kw is more than enough for a bedroom. Is there a way to somehow spend less but still make the replacement happening and make the tenant happy?

Looking forward to hearing some tips. Thanks a lot.

Woo

2. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Well, best to avoid Kelvinator - Panasonic, Mitsubishi Electric or Daikin will serve you better and have spare parts in the future.

Installation should be around $500 (simple back to back) and the kelvinator seems to be $659 with a $100 cashback.

They don't get much smaller nor cheaper.

qak, A.M.W, mikey7 and 1 other person like this.
  3. SarahD

SarahD Well-Known Member

By all means get a second quote to compare but as Bunkai has said, probably better off avoiding Kelvinator, spend a little more on the brand now and in the future you should avoid the same problem. Daikins often need to be hard reset after a power outage which requires an installer so check if this is a problem on the model you select if you go with a Daikin, otherwise you will be up for a call out fee after every storm with a loss of power!

qak and A.M.W like this.
  4. A.M.W

A.M.W Well-Known Member

Thanks bunkai and SarahD.

Just becasue I've heard the brand Kelvinator a lot I thought it was a high-end brand. It's good to learn all this.

I agree with you guys about avoiding any future issue by going with Panasonic, Mitsubishi Electric or Daikin. The quote my PM got was from "Calibre Air" in Bris. Do you guys think the quote ($1430) was a bit over the top? I have never thought that the installation will cost as much as the unit!!!

I had a look at the Electric Discounter website a few times. Thanks for the link. It looks like I can get a unit (2.5k range) from Panasonic, Mitsubishi Electric or Mitsubishi Electric Heavy industry and install for a cheaper or similar price than the quote my PM got. It does not stock Daikin units. However considering what SarahD said it might be best avoid it to avoid potential extra call out cost.

Do you guys think it would it be wise to recommend the PM to get one from this online seller?
    Don't PMs usually shop around a couple of quotes or is that really up to the landlord?

Cheers

qak likes this.
  5. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

I think you need to specifically instruct your PM to get several quotes

A.M.W likes this.
  6. A.M.W

A.M.W Well-Known Member

Cheers Beano. I shall instruct the PM to get a several quotes and go from there.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I would get rid of any tenant using crack.

What does the tray do? Can a handyman bodge it up with a little silicone?

How old is the AC unit? Get a second opinion.

8. A.M.W

A.M.W Well-Known Member

Haha...not that kind of crack Scott. :D
    I just emailed the PM with all the above Qs & suggestions. Thanks a lot everyone. It really helps. I have googled the term cracked tray but still not sure what exactly it does but this was what the technician put in this quote...

"Quotation is for the supply and installation of 2.5kw Kelvinator reverse cycle inverter split system replacing the existing system in the bedroom. The existing system has a cracked drain tray and replacement parts are no longer available for the unit"

That was my reaction too. If this is just a cracked tray replacing the whole unit seems like going straight to the last option. From my memory the unit was not that old. Probably a few years by the look.

9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yeah, if it is working, patch up the crack in tray which will be plastic, and then you also have to ask, how exactly did it crack ?

Replacing a working AC for a cracked plastic part is like buying a new car because the windscreen has a crack.....

A.M.W, qak and KayTea like this.
  10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I assume the drain tray is now leaking out the cracked area but I agree it could be siliconed or similar to fix it most probably

A.M.W likes this.
  11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The tray collects condensation so it doesn't spill onto anything that should not get wet. Then the water should drain to the outside of the house. Your device may possibly have water damage inside it. You can also check the warranty if it is only a few years old in case this can be claimed. PMs never seem to think of that. Can you phone the electrician and asked him your questions rather than going through the PM?

A.M.W likes this.
  12. A.M.W

A.M.W Well-Known Member

Hi, dabbler. I totally agree. Replacing working AC due to a cracked tray seems to be silly. The email from PM did not have much information about the condition of the AC. I shall push the PM a bit more to find out the condition of the unit and possibility to patching the crack. I am a bit disappointed now why these questions was not addressed when the technician was at the property. Cheers.

13. A.M.W

A.M.W Well-Known Member

Thanks Westminster. I will specifically ask the PM if this option can be tried. Hope it did not damage the carpet :confused:.
    Cheers

14. A.M.W

A.M.W Well-Known Member

Hi, Angel. Thanks for breaking down how it works. I thought about the same. If the PM is just there to pass the quote from the technician to me what are the benefit of having one. In regards to warranty the unit was there when I purchased the house so I do not physically have the receipt or warranty.

To be honest I am still not very experienced dealing with PM lol. If I know more fine details about the unit then I can instruct my PM better. I will probably ring the technician first on Monday but still have my email instruction ready for PM.

Thanks for the tips!

15. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

WOAHHH That quote is WAY too expensive. The wiring is all in place and disposal is a minimal cost. You're talking $549 for the unit, minus trade price (usually only $20-$30), minus $300 for the QLD energy rebate (MUST be installed before 4/6!!!) plus $400-$450 for install. That's about $650 fully installed, less than HALF what you've been quoted!!!

Also, Kelvinator has just released a new range of compact, attractive and apparently much better air-conditioners, I wouldn't write them off straight away. If you don't want to take the risk, you can get an LG for $130 more, which isn't a bad idea.

Find out how old the unit is- you might find that it's uneconomical to repair because it's so old. You might also find a way to repair it, or discover it's within warranty. You'd have to rely on the PM to find the invoice because the manufacturers can't help you without a receipt.

A.M.W likes this.
  16. A.M.W

A.M.W Well-Known Member

Hi, Tom. Thanks for the input. The quote does take the govt rebate into account but still considerably more than yours. Would you be able to share where you got the price from? and any recommended installers?

PM told me that unfortunately they don't hold the records of the unit so can't guess the age. The technician also elaborated on the condition of the tray as "brittle and crack in many places" so they will usually try to silicon it first but not in this case. too bad.

I was considering between Mitsubish & Panasonic brands but LG seems to be a good deal with $150 cashback currently.

PM came back with link for this guys and I think if could do it at least $100 cheaper if I get a unit myself and use a installer for say $500.

Snap Air Conditioning - Snap Air Conditioning Brisbane

Also according to the qld govt website a landlords can't claim the rebate but can make an arrangement with the tenants who then will apply on the landlord's behalf.

Is this the only way it works? or can you simply put both tenants and my name in the application and do it myself?

17. SarahD

SarahD Well-Known Member

I would be very interested to see how the other quotes come in. It is always a good idea to ask your PM to get a couple of quotes for bigger jobs. You'll get an idea of their trades over time and you can choose your favourites and ask them to use them on your property so you'll always have a good idea on price before you get the invoice! :)

A.M.W likes this.
  18. A.M.W

A.M.W Well-Known Member

Hi, SarahD. Thanks for the advice.
    PM got back to me with another link which was ElecttricDiscounter but the model my PM recorded was not 4 star rating. Long story short I decided to go ahead with a company called Snap Conditioning. I could have saved another $100 by ordering one myself and get PM to organise an installer but I was really spending way too much time googling online sellers and installers and looking for their review...lol

So I am going for the following unit and with the $100 gift card from Panasonic and QLD govt rebate of $300 which sounds like very hectic to get into my account ( after speaking to the govt energy rebate helpline and the installer the tenants have to apply online and receive the money into their account and then I will need them to transfer that money to me). it will be $989.

Snap Air Conditioning - Snap Air Conditioning Brisbane
    Panasonic CS/CU-Z25TKR

I felt a bit rush to get the unit and invoice by 03/06 which is the deadline to purchase for the rebate. Thanks everyone for the tips.

This is not really related to the AC but I was a bit disappointed with my PM's email reply. Some questions I asked in the email were not addressed. For example I sent the PM with a link to a particular unit on Appliance central website and asked PM what the PM thinks about getting an installer because in that way I can bring down the cost a bit. All I got in the reply was another link to a product which was cheaper but only 2 star rating which won't be eligible for the rebate.
    Is that just me getting stressed out getting a new AC?? haha.

How do you people express their concerns about PM when you feel like your PM isn't really listening to you? or is that just me thinking way too much ^^.

19. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Today I received a quote to supply and install TWO 2.5kW Kelvinators for $1,000- it even included running new wiring because there were no old units in the install spots. We usually get our stuff from The Good Guys.

I'll ask my Sparky tomorrow if he can do the Northside.

A.M.W likes this.
  20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Or do they sell the replacement part on Gumtree or eBay?

A.M.W likes this.