Bed linen?

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Vultures, 2nd Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vultures

Vultures Well-Known Member

These are nice Westminster, especially the last! I'm looking at solids, stripes and checks to start with but certainly if I do go the pattern route they will be geometric and timeless. I do like texture to break up the solid colours too so I'd love to introduce some at some point - but the early days will be a bit sparse in the offering, my funds are limited!

No, at least not yet. Yes, linen is made from the stalks of the flax plant. I'm still learning all this but as far as I've been able to deduce, the best linen comes from Belgium, France and Ireland because those regions have the best climate for growing flax and also for the lengthy decomposition process (retting which quite literally is rotting). This process is how the fibres get separated from the rest of the plant structure and is super important to the quality of the fabric. Water retting yields the best quality fibres. Chemical retting is a much faster method but harmful to both the environment and the fibres.

The other important factor affecting quality is processing and weaving - the best linen is made in European mills which have a long history of flax cultivation.

Thread count is not important in linen but in any case it is lower than for cotton because linen is a coarser, more durable fibre. The usual thread counts are somewhere in the range of 80-150/inch2.

And last but not least, linen is expensive because aside from it being grown/produced in Europe, its production is still very labour intensive despite mechanisation. The finest linens are still basically manufactured by hand because machines damage the delicate fibres.

Ohh now I really want to buy some linen!

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

My favourite non floral bed linen 'designer' at the moment is Florence Broadhurst. Some of it is OTT and when they mix too many prints together I get antsy but I like their simplier Japanese inspired Cranes and Chinese Key ranges

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ambit and Vultures like this.
  3. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

Thanks @Vultures that is very helpful information. I was wondering why Irish, French and Belgium linen was so highly prized. There is a lot of bed linen being sold out of Latvia and Belarus at the moment--on Ebay. I have no idea about its quality. I've also been looking at mulberry silk sheets. Your are a font of information.

Vultures likes this.
  4. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

These guys sell linen have a sale on at the moment. Ive bought from them before and their service is excellent. I love the doona cover too. The only downside is their website which has changed and doesnt work so well on my phone now.

Luxury Bed Linen & Sheets Online, Australia - I Love Linen

Ive got this one and its my favourite cover at the moment. KING Ultra luxurious 100% pure French linen quilt cover set in Deep Blue chambray

BigKahuna and Vultures like this.
  5. Vultures

@Westminster I agree, a lot of FB is too flowery for me but those geometrics are beautiful! I'd love to do something along those lines. Haha I haven't even started properly and already want to expand the range lol.

6. Vultures

Oh and I've just come across another linen store with similar pricing to those already mentioned
    www.linenshed.com.au

BigKahuna likes this.
  7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Me! Haha. Got them for the caravan and cause the kids trash everything and it I didn't want the wife to buy more of the things!!
    But we also had a black and white doona so it worked alright with that too

Now... Those pillows.... Can you put your male hat back on and burn those 50,000 pillows!! :mad:
    I hate pillows. 2max, 1 to use, 1for decoration and hide pj's!

8. BigKahuna

@Esel that cover you bought is beautiful. I love blues at the moment--they're so serene and calming. Thanks for the links @Vultures and Esel. Those fitted linen sheets at The Linen Shed at $95 are a really good price Linen Fitted Sheet Chalk. But they don't say 'French linen'. I wonder if they're of lesser quality than the ILoveLinen site.

Esel likes this.
  9. BigKahuna

10. Vultures

Actually it says they're made from French flax (look under "features" tab). Don't know where they were made though. A lot of it might be grown in Europe but then gets exported to Asia for weaving.

BigKahuna likes this.
  11. Vultures

I just came across another store with good prices for linen - and it says it's made from Belgian flax, although probably not in Europe. West Elm, quilt cover set on special around $250 - at least I think it's the set, it's not very clear. But even with added pillow cases it's a reasonable price.

Modern Furniture, Home Decor & Home Accessories | west elm

12. Westminster

West Elm is very nice - a 20--40yo target market . Its an American brand that now has a few shops in Australia. They are sister company to Williams Sonomo (housewares), Pottery Barn (linen, furniture, housewares) and Pottery Barn Kids (kids linen and furniture)

13. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

I have a doona set from west elm. Its lovely but quite expensive (for similar quality to adairs) and the pillows were extra, but the delivery was fine. Ive also bought furniture and a rug from them (in the sale) and both times the delivery was very slow and the last time in particular the customer service and communication was really surprisingly crap.

14. Westminster

it's a pity they opened up after the good exchange rate. When we were almost parity the prices would have been better for the quality as it's not super high. Unfortunately they arrived maybe 2yrs ago and presumably jacked their prices up to account for the poor exchange rate.

15. Vultures

I haven't bought from them before so this is good to know, similar target market :)

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm looking for some new sheets - and love a thick, crisp cotton ... but went to this website and buggered if I could work out how to actually "shop"

17. Vultures

It's not very intuitive I agree. To their detriment some online stores overdo the photos in lieu of some informative text.

I'm still plugging away at my future shop but I won't have the thick cotton right away. Mine will be lightweight to start with - I think the Commercial range from Abode living might be what you're looking for. I haven't tried it but it looks like it might fit the bill?

Abode Living - Bed Linen - Hotel Quality Commercial Sheets - Abode Living

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Oh super thanks - I'll have a look as was on here to ask if your shop was open ... trying to find crispy white cotton and literally everywhere is sateen ... even the stuff they call percale is soft and shiny.

Talking to the manager of the local MyHouse, and she says everyone is asking for crispy - but the chain buyers are just not listening to the feedback

Vultures likes this.
  19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member