Bed linen?

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Vultures, 2nd Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vultures

Vultures Well-Known Member

Ok so while the giant list of things the business consultant left for me to do will largely remain undone, I thought it's probably not a bad idea just to get some general feedback from people on their bed linen buying habits.

Target market is broadly 25-45 year olds who are comfortable buying almost anything online. Skewed towards males - but basically my customer is not one who likes flowery bed linen or patterns that look like something exploded on their bed. So women too - but not girly ones! They're already well catered for :) Also this will be a quality product at mid-range pricing so if you can never see yourself spending more than 20 bucks on a sheet then save yourself the 2 mins and move right on :)

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: 3rd Feb, 2016
  2. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

I live buying doona covers.

I had a couple of thoughts.

Do men in hetrosexual relationships buy or choose bed linen? Ive always bought all the bed linen on my own. My husband only occasionally comments on the feel of the fabric and the practicality of the pillow cases (he likes a pretty smooth flat pillow case on both sides). Hes never expressed an opinion on the colour or pattern. Actually thats not true, He prefers white - which i ignored last time i bought something for us.

The other thing that occured to me as i did the survey is that most of the linen ive bought in the last few years has been for the kids as they transition from cots to single beds and then queens. So My criteria for them is different to shopping for my bed. For them its more focused on budget and design/colour and less on quality. Whereas, im looking for a bit of luxury in a neutral design that wont date.

Lastly, was ikea on the list of shops?

Good luck with it all.

Last edited by a moderator: 3rd Feb, 2016
    BigKahuna likes this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

This was my thought too.

And also... if you can guarantee wrinkle free, (with not too much polyester), good quality (as in... it will look and feel just like the same as you bought it with no signs of deteriation even after several washings) for an amazing price... I'd like to try it out. I'd buy that product.

Last edited: 2nd Feb, 2016
    BigKahuna likes this.
  4. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

Done.

Agreed with the other ladies, my husband couldn't give a rats what he sleeps on, as long as there is a bed. He does like the 1000TC sheets and comments that hotel sheets were not as nice as ours at home.

He does not like overly frilly, flowery patterns. If I point anything out in catalogues, it is fun to watch his face :confused:

Personally, I am looking for do a covers that don't look like they were designed by a 4yo art project :) to me, super bright colour and bold designs do not lend themselves to a restful bedroom.

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Done - but I'm a simple sheet buyer ... I love white, pure cotton, high thread count sheets where the flat sheet is large.

Also, we have a king bed (lurve a king bed) and hence a "super" king doona ... can be hard to buy covers for as most places stop at king ... also ... I like plain colours, solid colours. Can be bright or muted, but would love a range where the whole doona is just one colour - not stripes or flowers or swirls or spot or fading - just the whole doona in a single colour - perhaps with some texture. Then I can add cushions and throws galore ... oooooo ... are you supplying throws too?

6. SerenityNow

SerenityNow Well-Known Member

ditto the comments on men not buying linen - at least in this relationship.

7. Vultures

Vultures Well-Known Member

haha yes - I figured most coupled men wouldn't be linen buyers but I hope those who answered thought about their answers as though they do!
    Yes, majority of my target market as far as men go will be single men.
    @Esel, no Ikea wasn't on the list, I forgot about it seeing we don't have one here in Tassie! Also I agree re criteria for kids bedding, perhaps I should have specified this is about buying for adults.
    Excellent, that's the plan!

Well I won't be able to guarantee wrinkle free as it's going to be 100% cotton. As far as quality it should only get better with washing (ie softer), and I'm certainly trying for an amazing price - for the quality! ie value.

Interesting - thread count is one of those things that the industry has latched on to as a measure of quality even though it's only a part of the equation. In practice the best fabric, using quality single ply cotton and weaving single yarns at a time gives a limit on thread count of about 400-450 per square inch. You cannot physically fit more than that in.

If you see a thread count higher than this, it's because they are using lower quality two-ply (or more) thread and are counting it as though it's two threads. Or they are using multiple horizontal threads for each vertical thread, which is more correct as far as thread count goes but doesn't improve quality/feel, it just adds weight (which you might like).

As far as the 4yo art project! YES. I was looking at all these websites thinking what a disturbing trend it was - who buys these things?!

Oh good because I'm planning on generous flat sheet sizes! Will have to look into super king, haven't seen it much myself either.
    I'll definitely have plain colours (besides stripes, checks etc), probably not texture at this stage though. This will be essentially a curated quality bedding basics range - ie not 20 pages of stuff to scroll through (maybe this is a mistake, we'll see!)

But for what you described, I really like abodeliving. Their stuff is made with fabrics woven in Italy, made in Australia or Europe and the patterns are simple, single colour, and lots of texture. Beautiful! But not quite my market :) A little more expensive than what I'm aiming for! Oh and they have super king lol I think I've just found just the store for you!

Last edited: 2nd Feb, 2016
    BigKahuna likes this.
  8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

You should include an info tab on your page! Having no idea about sheets a clear explanation on what they are, how they work and then why we should buy yours would be great!
    I'm male and have bought sheets! The wife did not approve cause she loves that stuff, but going from winter to summer we needed cotton sheets again. I went black! Didn't want to kids making a mess so made sense. There are a lot of options out there and is a pain especially not knowing what's what and how prices are justified. plus throw in colours and it's a mine field! Clear selection of quality with a simple range (bit of everything) of colours /patterns would be up my alley

Vultures likes this.
  9. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Filled :)

When buying online I think really good images is important especially if it's patterned, and good amount of information on what's expected of the product.

In general I buy based on price + feel on the skin, online doesn't provide the feel so you'd need to describe it :)

Feel means - I don't like embroidered stuff (not smooth!), prefer neutral patterns so the room is not too girly

10. bob shovel

Also have you looked into the caravan bedding sizes? Could be a market there? I know our caravan has a "standard size" caravan need. It's similar to a double but you lose 10cm off the length I think from memory. Some easy correct sized fitted sheets (top sheet not bad, but people may want correct sizing) with a few styles. I went dark brown for the caravan. Travellers may also want something more specific, harder wearing or maybe even light weight so easy to wash and dry on the road

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Vultures - We tend to get the environment fiendly linen & toweling products through Eco Downunder. Is that the style of products you're looking to carry?

12. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Do they cause more pollution than other linen?

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

This is the sort of info you need to include on your website - in a prominent position as, said by EN710, I'm really big on feel ... I like my cotton sheets to come off the clothes line super crispy and with weight ... and assumed that was achieved by thread count. Then I get confused when in the shops and a 1,000 thread count feels thin and floppy

14. bob shovel

What's that? Banana leaves and drip drying?

15. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Sounds like the fish and chips thread all over again. But I agree. Love feeling the quality.

Thats why we dont like guys to buy sheets... navy is ok... black.... no

Lizzie likes this.
  16. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Black is fine... but when you have dog and use WHITE knitted cotton blanket when sleeping, guaranteed it won't be black anymore in a flash

17. Scott No Mates

Cotton is a shocker, apparently (good to see that you actually read what I posted ;) )

mrdobalina and bob shovel like this.
  18. Guest

Guest Guest

Done. I'm a married, heterosexual male and I buy the bed linen.

Perthguy, Vultures and Terry_w like this.
  19. Scott No Mates

The best sheets that I had were Damasck linen. Super cool, looked great when ironed & lasted a vert long time.

BigKahuna likes this.
  20. bob shovel

Haha. Got it..now
    Cotton is the least environmentally friendly crop, uses HUGE amounts of water!

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia