Becoming Warren Buffet 2017

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Redwing, 8th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

How does this play out from a taxation point of view (company and shareholder)?

2. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I would assume that they would pay tax at the company rate and you would pay capital gains when you sell.

The Falcon likes this.
  3. Redwing

4. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

What about a margin call, this could depend on your leverage structure.

The emotional factor effects rational investors. Watching a large chunk of wealth disappear will spook most people. Many of whom may act illogically.

You may be sensible but most are not.

But just in that, I think one of the best lessons I've learnt here, thanks most to @austing who drums it into our heads, is that a crash is an opportunity rather than a disaster. I don't believe most investors have that mindset and I have to be very thankful that in some ways I am itching for a crash.

pippen, Anne11, Nodrog and 1 other person like this.
  5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I was talking about taking a residential loan backed by property to invest in ETFs/LICs. No margin calls with resi loans (generally speaking).

6. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

7. Redwing

Also in Free Resources

Two Wise Men: Stories for Children Inspired from the Wit and Wisdom of Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger

[​IMG]
    Link

Hodor, Nodrog and Perthguy like this.
  8. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

I found this documentary very interesting. It is not about Warren specifically - but it does have a bit about him in it. And his grand daughter.

Anne11 likes this.
  9. trinity168

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  10. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of Noam, a true outlier and intellectual. He has an amazing gift of seeing straight through the ********, and disclosing the hidden reality.

The key element of social control is the strategy of distraction that is to divert public attention from important issues and changes decided by political and economic elites, through the technique of flood or flooding continuous distractions and insignificant information.
    Noam Chomsky

11. trinity168

Another movie about the GFC (also on netflix)

Inside Job (2010) - IMDb

upload_2017-4-29_21-25-32.png

What is sad for me is, no matter who the US president is, the people around him are the same. I am referring to the Goldman Sachs ex-employee.

Buzzman81, Redwing and ollidrac nosaj like this.
  12. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I'm currently reading Snowball. 4-5 hrs on a plane on Monday should get me further into it.

Buzzman81 and Ted Varrick like this.
  13. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

Four horsemen

14. Redwing

Warren Buffett and the two women who shaped him

HE’S best known for the financial nous that made him the world’s richest man — until he started giving it away.

But a more complex side to Warren Buffett has been exposed in a HBO documentary, Becoming Warren Buffett, about the Berkshire Hathaway chairman, including the unorthodox relationship between the billionaire investor and his late wife, Susan.

While the pair had a bond that endured over decades, Buffett and his wife actually spent more than half of their 52-year marriage living apart, after Susan moved to San Francisco to pursue a singing career in 1977.

What made it truly unique was the fact that, instead of separating, Susan sent a female friend to live with Buffett — and she became his live-in companion.

Christmas cards sent to friends of the Buffett family were signed by the trio, and Astrid Menks eventually married Buffett after Susan’s death.

“Astrid has lived with me for a long time, she’s done wonders for me,” Buffett said in the documentary, released earlier this year.

“It worked well, but I don’t think it will work for lots of other people necessarily.”

15. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

For those of you with some time to spare, as Somersoft and PChat are the information Holy grail to property investors, for those who are serious about value investing in shares, a time investment, from the start, in Shareholder Letters , is well worth your while.

For some supplementary nourishment:-

1. As @wombat777 mentioned Prices for The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life by Alice Schroeder is well worth a read, and

2. Personally, I found this very worthwhile Prices for Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist by Roger Lowenstein , and

3. In my opinion, this was also excellent, Prices for Poor Charlies Almanack The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T Munger by Charles T. Munger

As a major shareholder in Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Amex, Coca Cola, Heinz, and, relatively speaking, Apple, it wouldn't surprise me if Berkshire had General Electric or Boeing in it's sights in the next few years....

16. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

17. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

For those interested in value investing cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca although not as good as it was, is still the best forum around.

But I also think value isn't what is was either...the value premium is now so widely understood, and the ability to run screens so ubiquitous, combined with the
    " institutionalisation" of capital that the game is much harder than it was in the past and will stay that way.

Having said that, I believe size and value are still worthwhile factors.

Ted Varrick and Anne11 like this.
  18. Redwing

I see shares of Berkshire Hathaway reached $300,000 this week

Buffett apparently bought his first shares of Berkshire for $7.50 each in December 1962

19. Redwing

20. val

val Well-Known Member

That's when he got divorced

Ted Varrick likes this.