Becoming Warren Buffet 2017

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Redwing, 8th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Becoming Warren Buffet 2017

With a net worth of over $60,000,000,000, Warren Buffett is truly a one-of-a-kind billionaire. The legendary investor still lives in his modest home in Omaha. At 86 years old, he drives to the office every morning to manage Berkshire Hathaway, the fifth largest public company in the world.

truong, 380, chindonly and 9 others like this.
  2. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

thanks for posting the vid up redwing, watching it made my day. :)

3. c_west

c_west Well-Known Member

Just finished watching it, fascinating doco and I think his values shows true to his investing strategy. To earn that incredible amount of wealth and then proceed to give 99% of it away to charitable organisations shows his true character.

4. Starbright

Starbright Well-Known Member

Loved it, thanks.

5. OscarBravo

OscarBravo Well-Known Member

Do you know what constantly blows me away? How much of his fortune he achieved after retirement age.

Snowball and Nodrog like this.
  6. Redwing

7. Gav

Gav Well-Known Member

8. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Great link. Thanks for posting!

9. Spiderman

Spiderman Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what happened when he was 44 when wealth halved.

10. Redwing

According to the interweb...

Berkshire was originally a textile company, and rather than admitting defeat Buffett tried to keep the textile division alive

Nice timeline here The Evolution of Warren Buffett’s Career from 1936 to 2013

11. RenegadeDom

RenegadeDom Well-Known Member

Watched it last night, great doco

12. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

A quiet night. Watching it on the big screen :cool:

IMG_7652.JPG

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  13. XBenX

XBenX Well-Known Member

Thx, just checking it out now.

14. XBenX

XBenX Well-Known Member

I love how down to earth he is. Lives in his old house. Drives himself to McDonalds for breakfast each morning, Reminds me of that book everyday millionaire (except this is the 3rd richest person in the world)

pwnitat0r likes this.
  15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I havent watched the doco,
    im sure he is a very smart and risk taking man,

but wouldnt most of his last half of wealth come from luck, timing, time in market, reputation and financial power?

16. Intrigued_again

Intrigued_again Well-Known Member

I hope this Helps:

Buffett: Temperament is more important than IQ. You need reasonable intelligence, but you absolutely have to have the right temperament. Otherwise, something will snap you.

Buffett: You don’t have to know how to value all businesses. You have to stay within your circle of competence, and pick companies that sell for less than what they’re worth. Some don’t lend themselves to valuations, so you should ignore them…If you are in the investment business and have an IQ of 150, sell 30 points to someone else. You do have to have an emotional stability and an inner peace about your decisions. It is a game where you are bombarded by minute-by-minute opinions. It’s not a complicated game. It’s simple, but it’s not easy. You have to have an emotional stability.

Warren Buffett says “Don’t worry about risk the way it is taught at Wharton. Risk is a go/no go signal for us – if it has risk, we just don’t go ahead.

WARREN BUFFETT: Well I came up with that a long, long time ago to describe the situation that – I was lucky. I was born in the United States. The odds were 30 or 40-to-1 against that. I had some lucky genes. I was born at the right time. If I’d been born thousands of years ago I’d be some animal’s lunch because I can’t run very fast or climb trees. So there’s so much chance in how we enter the world. And –

Calling someone who trades actively in the market an investor is like calling someone who repeatedly engages in one-night stands a romantic.”

“Long ago, Ben Graham taught me that ‘Price is what you pay; value is what you get.’ Whether we’re talking about socks or stocks, I like buying quality merchandise when it is marked down.”

“Successful Investing takes time, discipline and patience. No matter how great the talent or effort, some things just take time: You can’t produce a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant.”

“Honesty is a very expensive gift; don’t expect it from cheap people.”

“In the 54 years (Charlie Munger and I) have worked together, we have never forgone an attractive purchase because of the macro or political environment, or the views of other people. In fact, these subjects never come up when we make decisions.”

Serah, truong, WattleIdo and 7 others like this.
  17. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Part of what makes Warren amazing is that he didn't take huge risks or leverage. His amazing returns are due to compounding over a very long time frame.

truong, Observer, Anne11 and 2 others like this.
  18. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

hes obvooisly doing something a lot different or better than others, I know heaps of people that have been doing shares their whole life and dont take risks and arent what you would call "wealthy"

19. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Best thread on PC

chindonly likes this.
  20. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Nah. Who is this Buffet character?

When this thread gets close to 100 pages which is the case with the LIC thread I might try to find out who this Buffet guy is:p.

But he's obviously an amateur going by the amount of posts in this thread:D.

pippen likes this.