Becoming a Buyer's Agent

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Nathanbuz, 6th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nathanbuz

Nathanbuz Member

Hi All,

I just became a licensed agent.
    I have been investing in property for the last few years and am working on my first sub division. I want to get into a buyers agent role were I can educate clients and help them find property. Is there any training courses on being a buyers agent or where could I get a contract that I could get the client to sign prior to working with them.
    Does anyone have any contacts for a mentor?

2. Jane Ridder

Jane Ridder Well-Known Member

Colin Rice likes this.
  3. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Propertunity likes this.
  4. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

Hi @Nathanbuz, not sure if this link will work...let me know if it doesn’t and i’ll try it again. It’s a link to a podcast I listened to on the Smart Property Investment show. A buyers agent that has devised an online course for buyer agents. Sounded interesting!
    https://secure-hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/9...23181823&hwt=834253000056c6178785d1f6a71991cc

Wet behind the ears. likes this.
  5. Jacque

I believe that this course run by Cohen Handler is hardly independent, and from what I've read, is more akin to a recruitment scheme for their company rather than an educational course. Their webinar seems to focus more on what you can earn as a BA (6 and 7 figures according to CH) teaser comments alluding to CH's "secret play book" (puhleasse :rolleyes:) and the fact that you can't just enrol (like a normal certificate or diploma programme) but have to pass a 30 min one-on-one chat with Ben Handler so the candidates for the course are "hand picked" :rolleyes: Hmmmm..... do your own DD but if you really want to become a BA then conduct the actual licensing course, join Australia's only professional body set up specifically for buyers agents ie: REBAA and get some experience behind you. Best of luck.

6. Nathanbuz

Nathanbuz Member

7. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Get in contact with some local BAs and offer to buy them lunch in exchange for the "hard facts".

AndrewFEngland and Propertunity like this.
  8. Nathanbuz

Nathanbuz Member

Thanks mate I listened to the podcast and have enquired about the training program. Appreciate the help

9. Nathanbuz

Nathanbuz Member

I am based in Brisbane, but I will look at the reiq website for contracts, thanks for taking the time to post.

10. Nathanbuz

Nathanbuz Member

I actually had a feeling that's what they were trying to achieve, because there is no way you can see what the course is about unless you sign up. Thanks for posting this.

11. Nathanbuz

Nathanbuz Member

Yeah I think that's my best option, thanks for the advice.

Colin Rice likes this.
  12. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

No worries, have no idea about Cohen Handler but I thought it was an interesting concept. I also heard that the guys from Property Couch are recruiting for their new Sydney office. They mentioned attitude trumping all other qualifications. Might be worth an email on their website with your portfolio details/life experience.

13. Jacque

Propertunity likes this.
  14. Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker Well-Known Member

Sadly, it seems that all the threads where people were discussing buyer advocates courses have disappeared from the forum. Which is a shame, because people who want a start in the industry deserve the best start and there is a lot of commentary regarding courses which are not recognised courses.

The industry recognises the REI's as having the most thorough and dedicated training for the real estate industry. They take the education seriously as they have a vested interest in the professionalism and standards for the industry.

Doing a non recognised course and spending $3-$5k on it, and then getting your full licence in a 24 hour, back door fashion doesn't set you up for success or for having a good reputation in the industry. If you go through the REI's you will be recognised as a serious, committed professional with a really solid foundation underneath you.

The full licence course through the REI's usually takes approx 6 months. It is rigorous and thorough. After completing the training it would be great to start working for an established, reputable advocate so you have the right education and mentoring.

There are a lot of processes and training to undertake as a buyer advocate. It takes most new advocates just over 112 months to become reasonable competent and able to do 80% of the job without assistance. You really need a mentor to help you with your negotiation approach, how to work with the agents to get the best outcomes for your clients. It seems simple on the surface, however I have trained about a dozen advocates and even those with extensive investment experience do not have what it takes to be a great advocate without proper mentoring.

Many enter the industry thinking they will love it but realise its a lot of hard work that requires a diverse range of skill sets. I am not saying it is rocket science, but I am saying that there is a lot to learn and it only comes from experience and being in really unique situations that teaches you what to do. Or a mentor to lend their experience to you to short cut your learning.

Without experience or a mentor, you will lose a lot of deals for clients and you will make a lot of mistakes while you are learning.

It is a fabulous career for those who LOVE it and enjoy the various challenges and really long hours. I am in my happy place when I am flat chat busy, working 6 days a week and late into the night most nights a week. Come November though, I need a nice 2 week vacation to refuel.

It is a fabulous industry to be part of. I wish you all the best in getting your start and hope you are able to find a really great spring board for your career.

AndrewFEngland likes this.
  15. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I hope you mean 12 months not 112? Although it may take some 9 or 10 years :)

3rd Drop likes this.
  16. Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker Well-Known Member

Nah, 112 months FO SURE :) :)

AndrewFEngland likes this.