BCC granny flat for owner

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Stranger, 29th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Stranger

Stranger New Member

I'm considering buying a house in BCC area on a block > 600 sqm with side access. This will be principal place residence.
    A granny flat will then be built and the owner will move there. The primary house will then be rented out. Would this scenario work from legal perspective?

Whitecat likes this.
  2. Edgar

Edgar New Member

Sorry I started a new thread with the same title as yours. It was an accident and I guess is creating confusion.

I'm watching both your thread and mine in case someone replies with a decent answer.

3. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

I think you posted twice on the same question.
    There was a few replies here Granny flat for owner in BCC

If you seek legal advice, rather than forum, you can give RPI office a call

4. RetireRich101

The only council that I am aware of allowing Granny Flat are:
    Ipswich
    Logan
    Moreton Bay

Not sure why not BCC and other council, as the effort/money they spent on busting people with illegal GF, they might as well legalize it

wylie likes this.
  5. RetireRich101

6. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

You mean the decent answer

Like NO.

If you rent out your GF separately and are caught by council officers then

You will either get:

1. An Enforcement Notice telling you to stop; or
    2. A notice to appear at your local Magistrates Court to be prosecuted for breaching the Sustainable Planning Act and the Building Act.

If number 2 and you want a $15,000 fine and a criminal record turn up and try and defend yourself. If you want a $2,000 fine and no criminal record then pay someone like myself and a barrister around the same $15k to run a complex defence.

During some of the large cases we ran against BCC in the P&E Court on this matter we worked out a loop hole. Said loop hole works for some properties but BCC has changed the regulations to close the loop hole. Once the regs come into force (2 months ish) you have zero chance. To work out if the property will comply and then get compliance you are looking at a minimum of $7,500 plus GST in legal, planning, certifier and actual works on the property. That is an existing property, if it is a new one or the granny flat is new then you are going to have to comply with the accessible buildings provisions, that can be expensive.

If you don't have red stamped plans by the time the regs change then you have zero chance. The regs were due to change in December but have been delayed. I believe it is now end of March but they could move earlier than that.

BCC hates granny flats/ dual occupancy/ leasing to multiple households. The enforcement team spends a lot of time and effort on it.

7. Stranger

Stranger New Member

The question was not about renting GF, the question was about renting the primary dwelling and living in GF on permanent basis.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If an owner cannot live in the house and rent a GF out why would BCC allow it in reverse?

BCC (I believe) says a GF must be lived in by a family member. So that pretty much rules it out whichever way you want to slice it.

Marg4000 likes this.
  9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

No matter which way you describe it, the occupant of the granny flat must be related to the occupant of the main house.

You cannot do a separate lease for one (or the other).

Or vice versa.
    Marg

larrylarry likes this.