Bayside Duplex

Discussion in 'Development' started by Renae_P, 2nd Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Renae_P

Renae_P Member

Hi There.
    I've never done a development before and I'm looking for builder recommendations for a two storey duplex in Hampton East. Are there any builders you would recommend?

2. MKM

MKM Member

Do you have a planning permit and are the construction documents (Working drawings, Structural drawings, Drainage design, Energy reports etc) ready?

3. Renae_P

Renae_P Member

Thanks for your response! I need to organise finance via a broker and figure the first step is to get drawings and then get an estimate to build. I assume a builder would be the best first contact for this.

4. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

Carter Grange do a lot around that area.

Renae_P likes this.
  5. Renae_P

Renae_P Member

Thanks Hamish!

6. Tinaandalex

Tinaandalex Well-Known Member

Hi Renae,
    We're looking to build in this area too and have been to a few display homes. It all depends on your budget and how fussy you are. Cater grange is more affordable imo but not too impressed with their design. There other builders to consider are Latitude 37 and MPR.
    Good luck!

Renae_P likes this.
  7. Renae_P

Renae_P Member

Thanks, I'll check these ones out!

8. Randall Zheng

Randall Zheng New Member

Potentially a good idea to use a building brokerage to find you the best deal... I've used Your Next Home before and they are excellent - yournexthome.com.au

9. Renae_P

Renae_P Member

Thanks Randall, I haven't heard of them. Will check them out!

10. soja

soja Member

Hi Renae,
    I am currently in builder selection process for my Hampton East project. I am assuming you have planning permit for side by side townhouses. PM me if you wish to know the builder I am negotiating with. Cheers

11. Renae_P

Renae_P Member

Hi Soja. No, I don't have permits yet. i would like to know the builder details. Will PM you. Thanks, Renae

12. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

I've lived in Hampton for decades. Places with a Hamptons beachhouse vibe seem to do very well with prices and they match all the Californian Bungalows. Hampton East is a little different in certain pockets but I'd at least review that type of design in your area.
    This is a close example of what I mean:
    http://langfordjoneshomes.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/LJH-Dual-Occupancy-Brochure-Nicol.pdf

There have been a few in the area that have used these guys I think as well:
    Storybook | Custom House Designers Melbourne | Storybook Designer Homes Australia

Last edited: 10th Jul, 2020
  13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

As much as I don't like volume builders this floor plan is good (for us) - an office or 2nd main bedroom downstairs with 2 more beds/baths upstairs.

14. soja

soja Member

I do agree they blend in well with the Cal-bungs. and Council loves pitch roof type of developments. However this particular one would be bit hard to fit in to typical block sizes as they are normally 15.24m width.

Zimplestiltskin likes this.
  15. Zimplestiltskin

Yes that particular one is wider, I'm sure you could find something similar but thinner.

It's tough with Bayside planning scheme of 2m from boundary or directly on. You have 15.24m, 2m for a side way, 8m for two single garages.

Maybe you could apply for planning permit to have sideway shrunk to 1.24m wide. You'd have to choose north or east side to have sideway otherwise it probably has no chance.

Are you going for a private builder?

Last edited: 12th Jul, 2020
  16. soja

soja Member

Due to recent change of zoning to ACZ, we are now putting 3 dwellings into the block.Hence one long driveway on left side boundary. Yes, this will be custom builder however we are conscious to not over-capitalise on the build.

Zimplestiltskin likes this.
  17. Zimplestiltskin

Interesting, so one behind the other? I'll be very interested to see how that goes.

18. soja

soja Member

There are quite a few projects completed on on one block split on to 3 dwellings. I have also witnessed 600sqm split into 4 dwelling with underground carpark. Bit tiny IMHO:(