Battery powered mowers

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Hodor, 24th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Looking at the Victa 82v and the AEG 56v, there might be others worth a look. Anyone have any experience with battery powered mowers? Reviews seem favorable on the two above, hard to trust bulk reviews these days.

I'm looking for one with mulch function for maybe 300-400m area.

2. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I have an ego mower and I love it

Hodor and datto like this.
  3. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I have a Ryobi 18v, but only because I have the power tools and gardening tools already. Would probably better to go for a 36v at least, but I wasn't about to add a range of tools to my shed. It is adequate for my needs, but my lawn is only small. There is the added bonus that it is light enough for my 10yo to use.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

Hodor, datto and KayTea like this.
  4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

We've got an electric mower (I forget which brand). My wife loves it, hence I think it's awesome!

Hodor, datto and bob shovel like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@datto's the resident expert grass cutter - he may pipe in.

datto likes this.
  6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I find the four stroke the most efficient way of cutting the grass. 2nd choice is a two stroke.

I don't think batteries are up to the job IMO.

7. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

@Hodor have you researched Choice reviews. they have just published a test comparison on cordless mowers this month.
    the Stihl brand was one recommended.

datto likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Never used a battery operated unit? The Energizer Bunny keeps on keeping on......

datto likes this.
  9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Gawd...saw this one in the feed, thought it was going to be about a popular battery powered peace pipe......

datto likes this.
  10. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I have a 30 plus year old whipper snipper, is very solid and heavy, the boss wanted a small, light battery one for a very small area.......wellnthe battery one is too weak and used more dollars of cord in 2 weeks that the other one used in 30 plus years.....so back it went.....I would not waste my time, unless the boss is insisting:);)

datto likes this.
  11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've got a small area of lawn to be established close to the house. I'm thinking of a corded mower for the power over that of a battery mower, especially given my complete lack of prowess (and success) with petrol motors.

datto likes this.
  12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

we rented a small place with about 100m2 of lawn. I bought a corded wipper snipper and used it for the whole lot! It was a cheapie <€100 and i was happy with it

geoffw and datto like this.
  13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Bunnings has a $99 ozito 1000W which some users rate as underpowered, and a $149 Ozito 1500W which seems to be not too badly rated.

14. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments. Maybe tips on getting the other half to mow is what I should have been asking, not going to even try.

Anyway.

Tried the Ryobi 36v which seemed to go ok apart from harder to push than I expected, my grass was already pretty short too. Not sure if it was an ergonomic type issue, the deck dragging on a low cut settting or something else.

I am also now looking at the "eco system" of tools available with each brand. I have bosch blue tools and they're great apart from no garden tools on the blue battery (green range only), makita, AEG etc have line trimmers etc available so don't want to get caught out. Ego seem to have the best range, also the priciest.

Thanks, I don't have a choice membership which I believe is required to view the info.

15. obiuquido144

obiuquido144 Well-Known Member

Go with battery, 36V minimum.

Victa 82V - knife is mounted too high inside the steel deck, casusing dragging and inability to cut low. 18in model a lot flimsier than 21in.
    No self propelled option. Rebadged Greenworks mower.

AEG 58V - rebadged Echo. Handle flimsy with a design fault - keeps breaking, but Bunnings/AEG good with support. Batteries are expensive and not part of the kit.

Ryobi - the 36/40V stuff is relatively underpowered and the larger ones are approaching cost of Ego. No ball bearings on wheels. Batteries oveheat and have very long charging times. Short runtime.

Ego 56V - 52cm is 2nd gen with brushless motor, high lift blade in AU. 49cm is 1st gen - good enough, weaker motor, still better than Ryobi - won the Choice test a couple of times.

I have the 50cm self propelled steel deck Ego and the 52 plastic deck Ego. Prefer the plastic one as it's lighter.

Hodor likes this.
  16. radson

radson Well-Known Member

This is what I have, its awesome.

Hodor likes this.
  17. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

The AEG 58v is $799 currently with two 4ah batteries and a chainsaw via redemption. Was planning to pick it up as the Ego is $849 with one 5ah battery, AEG sold out when I dropped in. Prices for batteries were similar between the two from what I have seen. Either will easily meet my needs.

18. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

...and hand pick the weeds? :D

The Y-man

datto likes this.
  19. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Nice and gently!

20. obiuquido144

obiuquido144 Well-Known Member

There's a promo (ending today, you'd have to buy online e.g. at Total Tools) where if you buy 2 EGO products such as a specific mower kit and a blower skin, you get a 2.5Ah battery for free. I have the 900 blower skin (paid $ 219 iirc) and it's "mind blowing" :)). The EGO system is where EGO really shines, not just the mowers.

Hodor likes this.