Travel & Holidays Batik Air - Perth to Bali

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 4th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

I have flown with their sister crowd lion air and found em ok.

Tough to fly in that part of the world on Qantas like airlines only.

Ta

Rolf

3. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Garuda only, thanks.

4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Lion has an atrocious safety record. QF, JQ or VA for me only (to Bali).

Last edited: 27th Jan, 2017
  5. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Really? I wont fly Garuda

MTR likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Only one time, never again

7. euro73

I travel there 5 or 6 times a year . I fly with Garuda regularly. One of the best business class services in the world. Certainly a better product that Qantas.

When the alternatives to Indonesia are the more expensive and poorer service Qantas , or Virgin or Jetstar, Garuda wins hands down.

8. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Better than the rest of a bad bunch from Indonesia but yeah, no, I don't think so.
    Banned by the EU from 2007-9 and from operating into the US until recently.
    I would have Qantas any day.

Indonesia airlines cleared to fly to United States - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

9. euro73

The company was overhauled several years back and is now consistently rated amongst the worlds best airlines... several years in a row actually. As a Liverpool fan I understand that you'd be a bit behind the curve , but it might be worth another look ;)

GARUDA INDONESIA AWARDED “THE WORLD’S BEST CABIN CREW” FOR THE THIRD CONSECUTIVE YEAR - Garuda Indonesia

Best airline on the Australian-Bali route

Has post-ban Garuda mended its ways?

Garuda Indonesia Score Skytrax's Highest 5-Star Rating | Flight Centre

My Garuda Indonesia Review (with kids) - Toddlers on Tour

Iamnumber5 likes this.
  10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Not really fussed about the service etc. Most important is getting there in one piece. Odds are minute that something bad will happen but if it does, your life depends on the 2/3 guys sitting upfront and their ability to fly the plane when its off autopilot.

HUGH72 likes this.
  11. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Haha very funny but jokes aside Euro I'll put it to you this way, I would never try to tell you that because I love the ANZ branch logo, colour, branch fit out and customer service I think that you should get a investment loan from them. I'm not a broker or financial adviser.
    In other words you don't know what you don't know.

I'm sure the cabin service great though.;) Oh, I can think of something positive, they are currently a Liverpool shirt sponsor.

12. Rolf Latham

when flying in inter island Indo, you dont get much choice................... Have spent time on Garuda, Pelita and Zampati in the old old days, Safety beats the ferrys and buses

ta
    rolf

Iamnumber5 likes this.
  13. euro73

Ive flown with them 30 + times in the past couple of years ... anyway, who you fly with is your call, obviously. But my experience with them has always been excellent .

For economy, they are generally less expensive than Qantas, although not as cheap as Jetstar or Virgin or Airasia.

For business class, they are almost always 20-30% cheaper than Qantas and their product is better. They are also part of skyteam and you can certainly redeem points with them or their partner airlines far easier than trying to redeem Qantas points .

14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I rate Garuda pretty well too. I've flown to Japan with them - Perth -> Jakarta -> Tokyo, then Tokyo -> Denpasar -> Perth on the return leg. I've also flown them to Indo too.

15. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Allegedly many of the pilots at Lion smoke ice regularly. I also think it was a Lion flight where a pilot suicided by flying into the side of a mountain taking all the souls on board with him. I last flew Qantas 2 years ago and was surprised how shabby and dated their equipment is. Most of their planes must be 20+ years old. All the flight crew were aged 50-65 years old.

16. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

We can't fly Qantas to bali - Jetstar or Garuda are the only 2 choices for me as I won't go with Tiger (and they can't land in Bali at the moment anyway) or Malindo.

I actually quite enjoy Qantas domestically and internationally. They are my preferred airline and if not I'll try and use Oneworld for points.

17. Rolf Latham

QF have just retired all their old but trusty 767s, and the stalwart 74s are almost there, at a guess id say their average fleet age is under 10 years............. I personally dont have an issue with flight crew being more experienced...................................

With the Lion Air mountain flight, I suspect there is a confused ID between A luthansa subsidiary called German Wings and Lion, but objectively, that same thing could have have happened with many airlines.

ta
    rolf

18. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

It wasn't German Wings or Lion, I mixed up 2 cases:

1. Pilot suicide on Silk Air flight 185
    SilkAir Flight 185 - Wikipedia

SilkAir Flight 185 was a scheduled SilkAir passenger flight operated by a Boeing 737-300 from Jakarta, Indonesia, to Singapore, that crashed into the Musi River near Palembang in southern Sumatra, on 19 December 1997, killing all 97 passengers and seven crew on board.

2. Pilot using drugs on Lion flight 904
    Lion Air Flight 904 - Wikipedia

In January 2017, Budi Waseso, the chief of Indonesia's national narcotics agency, said that the pilot of Lion Air Flight 904 was under the influence of drugs at the time of the accident, and had hallucinated that the sea was part of the runway.

19. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I flew Malindo a few years ago on a Dreamliner KL-Bali. We had the plane almost literally to ourselves. Just us and 4 other passengers- was a bit odd but service was great for a cheapo airline, included baggage, a good snack and drink for the starter type fare. Plane was new too, I'm grateful we made it there after reading about all the drunk/high indo pilots!

20. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Yeah but if you pay a bit less on your mortgage and something goes wrong, you dont lose your life in a horrifying flame ball death-plunge from 30,000ft