Bathurst Lithgow or Orange ?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Rebecca Roper, 8th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Lithgow, Bathurst or Orange

1. Lithgow

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Bathurst

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Orange

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  4. Regional NSW is a mistake

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Elsewhere in NSW.

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Rebecca Roper

Rebecca Roper New Member

I’m looking to invest in regional nsw, My budget is around 300,000. I really like orange because of its amenities but Lithgow is closer to Sydney.. Bathurst is also nice. Crime etc is iffy, where would you buy with my budget?

Bill_epping likes this.
  2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

You wont be getting much in Orange or Bathurst for 300 these days, boat sailed years ago....

Lithgow everyone drives right past, you may just be able to scrape through on an older home or a unit, but I would suggest avoiding the cheapest options.

There are a lot of smaller towns that are all doing well, and some just keep chugging along in normal times as well, so many options, just look at places that have always had small increases in normal times....

3. Kevbo

Kevbo Well-Known Member

$300k is too little for an average/below average property in Orange. I would say you need a budget of at least $500k now to buy an “investment grade” property in Orange.

With that budget you should perhaps explore regional properties outside of NSW.

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I think Orange is too expensive now, why spend 550 or so there on an average circa y2k place nowhere near walking distance to cbd or transport, when you could prob find something in west Syd for not a lot more.

Once covid and stimulus gone, will be interesting to see what happens,

5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Agree with dabbler. You've got the right idea but Orange has been powering for ages. If you bought something small and lived and worked there, that'd be different. I mean, you could get a nice unit near town but would need to be upmarket.
    Bathurst, same but on different time scale. It boomed 10-20 years ago.
    Even the smaller towns have doubled in the last couple of years, like Parkes and Forbes. Have a look at Cowra, it's beautiful but different again. There are heaps of other good places too.
    I do agree that Lithgow is interesting but it will never not be the lee side of the mountains. It's just sitting there waiting to happen though.
    No way is regional NSW a mistake.