Bathroom without waterproofing...

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Luca, 7th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Sounds like half a full bathroom reno to me.....replacing the timber is not complex, no way is even a days work, material is cheap, get more quotes.

May as well do full and proper job if considering doing that much and that spend.

2. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

My quick calculation was $1k remove and dispose 3 asbestos walls. Labour 3 days 1 guy $2k. Material $1k. Overprice $1k. I guess his ability to start straightway is good (he has a week available). Being based interstate I am finding really hard to manage tradies, handyman and so on. Also getting quotations in is a bit of drama. Can a carpenter warrant the whole job including waterproofing?

3. dabbler

If he had one arm and one leg it would not take 3 days :)

I can only say I had a bath going the other way on a wall, at the point I was talking to someone who does these type of things, I asked what they charge to remove all tiles, re sheet, waterproof, and do tiles etc, 1200 was the answer, that may have been a bit cheap, so I would budget say 2k , the timber is going to add say2-400 at a WAG

If you cant find or know someone, that is tough, but then I would be looking at people who do bathroom renos all the time and get quotes from them.

So you have to decide, are you doing a reno or a repair ? They are different from tax perspective too.

I still do not understand what your plans are, but if your rebuilding, I would def find a cheaper option.

Where is the place, is it Bris ?

4. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Yes Ipswich. Honestly I would like to get it fixed and keep the costs down but I am not having much luck in finding someone to do it. I have tried a couple of carpenters and the price is in the $5k region. Maybe I am not targetting the right tradies :) Is it more a tiler or handyman job?

5. dabbler

I would ask a handyman if they have experience doing this, waterproofing is not that hard anymore.

Do you have a PM ? they should be able to advise of who they have, or ask some of the other forum members if they have a contact in Ipswich. Maybe on one of the threads where people say they have interests up there.