Bathroom without waterproofing...

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Luca, 7th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If it leaks now, you will probably end up with termites sooner rather than later.

Tom Rivera and TerryN like this.
  3. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

I know, another risk to be managed...

4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I would not leave a rotten frame for 4/5 years. Bite the bullet and do it now.

Propertunity, Tom Rivera and Martin73 like this.
  5. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

We've used Showersealed. Not a bad bunch, though I'm not sure what they can do for you in your situation. They're also not particularly cheap due to the nature of the work.

If possible I'd bite the bullet and do it now.

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Had a chat to @Luca yesterday at the Melb Meetup -

To others who might be able to help - it's a shower over bath. The issue appears to be that the waterproofed backing (probably asbestos sheeting) didn't extend all the way down to the tub lip - some of it may have been broken off for inspecting the issue, so not sure how far down it originally came. So I suspect water has been leaking through the bottom row of tiles (the ones that slant into the tub.

The Y-man

7. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Thanks @The Y-man

I have attached a picture for reference. Now the timber behind the tiles is pretty decayed. There was a leak where the inspection point is reason why the timber has been affected. When did it start? Who knows. Are other structure affected? Who knows too...There is a toilet downstairs with a minimal evidence on the ceiling. Now as suggested by @The Y-man it looks like that post-war there was no waterproofing done on bathrooms if cement sheeting was used, so I would assume the rest of the bathroom is fine?

SOL 1 - Cheap one
    - Use Earls 250ml Wood Hardener to locally treat the timber
    - Use cement sheeting to fill the gap
    - Attach with liquid nail this product over the existing tiles Wall Art 2400 x 1200mm 3mm Designer White Wet Area Wall Panel
    - Silicon all around. My main concern is about the corner between new sheeting and old tiles.

SOL 2 - Redo the whole bathroom.

Attached Files:

8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

What makes it hard is the bath where it is.

What is on the other side of that wall ? if you can get in there, take lining off and re build timber from other side, not big deal.

I think your going to have to do a bunch of the tiles at the front, put new sheeting and use something like al angle so water cannot get behind there, seal up, and tile.

In some areas you may find a handyman that can do this, if your re building, no way I would do a whole bathroom.

9. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

I would take it up another row of tiles so that you are over the taps.

What is behind the taps in the other room? If its just gyprock then you can operate from there. Namely open up the gyprock and insert new wood well past any rotted areas. Cut the gyprock above the skirting so that when you patch the gyprck you are only dealing with gyprock rather than the hassles of the skirting. (Looking at the picture again it looks like the wall behind is also asbestos sheeting. You can still do the same job but need to deal with the whole wall behind the bath)

Having new wood in place in the wall secure a well fitted piece of the same thickness of hardie board in the bathroom and attach. Silicone up the screw holes and joins between the old and the new boards and similarly silicone up the corner and the join at the bath.

Find tiles that sort of match and retile and grout. Should be good for 4-5 years.

The damage would have been as a result of the leak rather than the join between the bath and the wall or even the wall itself unless the grout was broken.

10. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Thanks Guys, operating from the other side is a bit of challenge as the wall is asbestos, so I was trying to minimise works and costs. Removing an asbestos wall is an expensive exercise. I will talk to the handyman and see what he says.

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It depends on what you will be doing in 4/5 years? If you are demolishing the house I'd patch and stop water getting in and make it as neat as you can.

12. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Well honestly it is a long term hold...so I would say keep it functional for 10/15 years...

13. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Rip it out and start again

14. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

yep this.
    A little upfront pain for peace of mind moving forward.
    Plus you'll get some extra depreciation to ease the pain.

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The houses we have don't have waterproofing. They are old Queenslanders and when we upgrade the bathrooms, we will waterproof at that time. We put one in about twelve years ago and didn't waterproof then.

Our places have easy access underneath and single skin VJ walls so it is very obvious if something is leaking, and it leaks onto a concrete floor.

I'd rip it out and do it properly. As long as you don't plan on having the house levelled, why not do it now. Of course it will "date" but everything "dates" and if you keep it simple it lessens the "that's an 80s bathroom" feel.

16. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I wouldnt be so worried about the wall timbers but whats going on with the timbers UNDER the bath. you load a bath with 500kg of water and you're not going to worry about the wall timbers ;)

Jess Peletier, mikey7 and wylie like this.
  17. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I would not be worried about the asbestos, heaps of us used to work with it before it became the bogeyman, just take common sense precautions now you know it can be dangerous if mis handled.

I was doing some work in a 50s era house recently in bathroom, I expected asbestos too, but when I checked the back of sheeting, it has date of 2000, so it had already been done prob around then.

Either way, I see no big drama, anyone wanting to make it a big drama just bypass and get next person.

18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The advertised services are for minor leaks NOT missing waterproofing and damaged structural timbers. Water can do a load of damage before its even visible. One day someone goes through the floor....

Propertunity and Tom Rivera like this.
  19. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Guys, heaps of good tips here. Thanks for that. I will let you know how I go and maybe post some pictures :) What would be your guesstimate to redo the 3 walls e.g. remove the asbestos walls and tiles, re-framing, re-sheeting, waterproofing and tiling? I am getting prices in.

@wylie You know what I am talking about...levelling unfortunately can happen at one point as the house sits on timber stumps and moves. In saying that, considering it is 100yo, I hope it is sort of set.

20. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Hey guys, 5k to do to demolition, install villaboard, wetsealing, new frame where needed, tiling, shower screen, just the area round he shower (three walls). How does it sound?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia