Bathroom without a window

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Starlite, 10th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Starlite

Starlite Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I am thinking to add a bathroom in my IP in between the hallway and the main bathroom. It will not have a window. Is there any legal issues? Any advice on design? The main bathroom will be gutted to turn it into an ensuite. The entrance to the old bathroom would be sealed.

Please help. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

2. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Will require exhaust. Consider a skylight as well.

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

You will have to have some sort of ventilation set up ,,some skylights have solar powered exhaust ducts built into the skylight dome,plus if this is a rental make sure everything is passed by the local council,and also read the fineprint in your LL insurance if by changing the plan does it change the insurance cover..imho..

4. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

I have 3 IP's with bathrooms in the middle of the house. Definitely need skylights and a good exhaust fan. With my properties the bathrooms used to open up onto sunrooms and over the years previous owners have closed them in or done extensions to the house.

5. Starlite

Thanks, Willair. Any specific brand that you recommend for the solar powered exhaust skylight?

6. Starlite

Hi drg86,
    What type of skylight brand that you use? Bunnings?
    Any rough figure in terms of cost and installation?
    I have a tile roof.

7. JonoD

JonoD Active Member

I've an ensuite added to the main bedroom in one of my properties, was created by installing a new wall to section off part of a very large master bedroom. No windows or skylight has an exhaust triggered by the light switch - duct vents this down the wall cavity next to pipes to under the building - works well no issues ( cheaper option than skylight)

Starlite likes this.
  8. 380

380 Well-Known Member

You don't need a skylight as per se.

You may get away with 3 in 1 lights (with exhaust fan)

Or

Search soltube in Google.

9. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

I haven't had to do the install myself just yet. The others already had them in place when I bought properties. The one I'm renovating now will have one installed by me later in the year so I will know costings then. Currently just has a 3 in 1 light. Will likely go down the Bunnings route.

One of them has a 'home made' version of a skylight. Previous owners replaced tiles with a clear perspex type tile then cut out ceiling and framed up a light well.