Bathroom waterproofing certificate - issues with tradie!

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by JenJen, 2nd Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JenJen

JenJen Well-Known Member

Has anyone else had issues with getting a waterproofing certificate from a tradie?

2. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah! This particular tradie held it back as he wanted extra money from us. He also held onto other essential documents (fire alarm certficates comes to mind....). Very dodgy. It all got sorted out through the Fair Trading Tribunal but it was painful :(. What is going on with you?

3. JenJen

JenJen Well-Known Member

Hi @freyja
    Thanks for sharing!
    My thing was that I spent a good couple of months chasing up the certificate. I didn't get a result until I mentioned that i had no choice but to go to the tribunal...

freyja likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@JenJen - the threat usually gets them moving - especially if they've asked for more than their mandated deposit.

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  5. 5080

5080 Active Member

If a licensed contractor has three disputes upheld against them by Fair Trading in NSW then they can revoke their licence from them, this goes for an individual or a company. In future you should insist on the use of a contract depending on your states licence regulatory body, or maybe they are affiliated with HIA or MBA who have contracts also. As regards to deposits there is a maximum amount they are legally allowed to ask for upfront usually in the region of 10%.

Glad you got it resolved :) Nothing worse then dodgy Tradies, giving the rest of us a bad name.

JenJen likes this.