Bathroom towel rails & Toilet roll holders

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Kruzette, 29th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kruzette

Kruzette New Member

Hello.

Hoping for some assistance please. I have recently moved into a new rental property, we are the first tenants as it is an ex-display home. There are no towel rails and toilet roll holders in both main bathroom/toilet and ensuite.

Is this the responsibility of the landlord or tenant to supply and install?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Did you note this as part of the entry inspection?

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Of course they should be installed - let the PM/LL know about it.

Joynz and wylie like this.
  4. Kruzette

Kruzette New Member

Yes we did.
    We’ve now been here for 2 weeks and the property manager has informed us that the Landlord “doesn’t want to put holes in the wall”

5. Scott No Mates

What a load of codswallop.

Better send in a maintenance request for a bidet if there's nowhere for the toilet roll.

geoffw likes this.
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

In that case buy a ‘stick on’ or suction roll holder and towel rail (or suggest the landlord does).

wylie likes this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Or supply a free standing towel rail

Joynz likes this.
  8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Agree, codswallop.

Not having a towel rack at least would detract from the value of the house. The two should be essential items for a house.

If you use stick ons, take photos before just to make sure the landlord doesn't keep them before you go.

I see that at least some stick ons can work on porous surfaces too.

This isn't the start of a good relationship, when such simple essential items aren't approved.

Stoffo, Lizzie and Clean Cookie like this.
  9. Scott No Mates

@Kruzette - What has the PM suggested you do? Have you asked if you can knock a few 4" nails into the walls? That way, the owner doesn't need to make holes in their precious walls? The PM sounds like a junior refer it to the licensee.

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

There are many free standing toilet roll holders available too:
    free standing toilet roll stand | eBay

I don’t think it’s a crime not to have a rail or towel holder on the wall.

But it is a bit unusual - possibly to avoid damage while it was a display home?

11. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

We literally just spent hundreds at Bunnings installing basic items after we bought a house with nothing to hang a towel on etc. I lived in the place for a week cleaning it up and went crazy not having basic items like this in the bathroom. I think your LL is an idiot. I bet they have holes in their walls.

Stoffo, Noobieboy and geoffw like this.
  12. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

What a load of rubbish. I think they should install it. I would tell them if they don’t provide it or provide alternative (stand alone items etc), I would go to relevant tenant authority to get permission myself.

13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Lodge a claim.
    The LL is a *****. Concealled fixing means there is no damage if correctly installed by the landlord. Its not a reasonable defence.

Lodge claim based upon the Building Code of Australia implied expectancy for sanitary facilities in a bathroom etc. It doesnt mention running water either does it !! All implied.
    Washing and drying hands and towel hygiene etc.are expected and there are minimum state requirements for a tenancy to include such facilities albeit unmentioned for specific items as the BCA implies there are required in design of a dwelling

Ask for a dryer if they cant provide for traditional towel facilities to be used hygeneically

Residential Tenancies Regulations 2021
    A washbasin needs hand drying. Likewise a shower.
    Handicapped, aged and disabled persons may visit and need access to wall mounted paper etc.

Stoffo likes this.
  14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The NCC (which is the correct name for the old BCC) certainly does specify water requirements as a service. It is not implied at all - it is stated.

I can’t see where it mentions or implies a towel rail. I think a towel rail is a good thing, but it’s not in the same ball park as, for example, water, heating and cooking facilities...

The OP could just buy a $2 over the door hook from the $2 shop for the towel. Or a freestanding rack. Easy.

Or see if it comes under the new Victorian regulations which allow tenants to attach some things to walls (the new regs that a few on this site have criticised!)

Last edited: 30th Apr, 2021
    Lizzie likes this.
  15. Up The Creek

Up The Creek Member

This is too funny. The LL wants it to remain in display home configuration forever. My sympathy goes to you. Imagine having a property manager who couldn't sort this. Why are they in the business?

Stoffo likes this.
  16. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I'd tell the PM that this is the option you as the tenant are choosing and they should pass this info onto the owner/LL :p

Anyone who has used these or had tenants that have ALL know they end up damaging the paint on the door and door jamb :confused:

17. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm surprised that the display home didn't have toilet roll holders. After all, some of those sales people are full of it.

18. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Coat-hanger is great for multiple dunny rolls, we use toilet roll holder during 'operations' and coat-hanger for spares.