Bathroom tiling - what height?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Pumpkin, 15th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chivaun.Shortis

Chivaun.Shortis Well-Known Member

I think it comes down to personal choice. My dad is a plumber and renovates bathrooms. Dad did floor to wall tiles in our own bathroom many moons ago when it wasnt the fashion but I think it just sets the bathroom off. Looks finished not half done.

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference.

What did you end up going with @Pumpkin?

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Also remember that if you are going full height in one part (ie shower) and not full height in another it will affect how the cornice will look and you can end up with a bump in the cornice where it goes over the full height area. For this reason some will tile to top of shower screen only (around 2m) so that there is a gap

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Big fan of floor to ceiling tiling but I don't like it with the cornice as much. Much prefer the square clean shadow line look.

6. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="wylie, post: 482513, member: 76" What did you end up going with @Pumpkin?[/QUOTE]
    Still battling... sheeting this week so tiling after.
    I think we are going two height levels....

7. Pumpkin

@Westminster @Leo2413
    Good news: no cornice here, square-set all the way, even laundry. Winner!

Westminster and Sackie like this.
  8. Pumpkin

Hmm, this is subway or brickbone, and hubby loathes it. He reminds me everyday that he’s not having any of this. Maybe it reminds him too much of the era he was born:p

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Even laundry..your going all out! should look great though:)

Pumpkin likes this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The bathroom we put in 18 years ago which we replaced about three years ago was art deco style. I don't have a photo but it had different height tiles behind the bath which stepped down to a different level for the remainder of the room, with black trim on top of the wall tile and a black border on the floor.

It suited our house, but this time we've gone modern.

We did love the style though, and this is very similar to what we had. Again, it comes down to the style you want, but I still love this era. Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 10.03.39 pm.png

WattleIdo, Pumpkin and EN710 like this.
  11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Certain tiles suit height better. Square tiles look crappy for larger areas and height v's subway, "rounds" or herringbone etc. Tiles can also add a 3D effect. Larger expanses can be broken with different tiles and decor etc....Depend what you seek. Go look at a large tile store for their displays.

Depends on room too...In a room with poor heights / out of square the top row of tiles will look real dodgy if room height isnt level at cornice...eg in this pics see top row of tiles all looks ok. Imagine if there was 2inches in fall of height across room. This is going to accentuate with a thinner tile...Maybe need to use larger tiles. Like BIG tiles. That can be "fixed" by a good tiler - They will throw a laser at top and bottom to get a level and work to that. They may put the height issue somewhere hidden like behind the photographer...Maybe only visible while in the bath facing the door. You dont want to see the issue each time you walk in.

[​IMG]

Ask a tiler - Should I use panelling ? That like asking a brickie if they think timber cladding is a great idea. I will guess they say always use brick.

Pumpkin, WattleIdo and Westminster like this.
  12. Pumpkin

Lots of good points there @Paul@PFI
    Couldn’t agree more with the out_of_alignment tiles. That will irks me like no tomorrow!