Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Bathroom renovator suggestions needed asap (Brisbane Southside)

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by D'Mo, 28th Jun, 2016.

Tags:
  1. D'Mo

D'Mo Well-Known Member

I am currently renting out my house & have received the unfortunate news that the bathroom has mould growing due to a leak in the walls

One quote to fix is ... WAIT FOR IT ... !!

$3995 !

Now, I have planned to renovate the bathroom and figure that, that quote is half a new bathroom price ..

So If possible, instead of fixing the problem only, I'd rather re-do the bathroom as that would make more sense

Does anybody have any ideas for good, honest bathroom renovators that would service Algester/ calamvale areas ?

I have attached a pic of the old bathroom. Those tiles are all out of place due to last owner doing a home Job. I'd like to remove bath altogether.

Ideally I'd like to renovate in the next few weeks. Sooner the better.

Attached Files:

2. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

What is the scope of work?
    Sorry I'm looking for a ref myself. :)

3. D'Mo

D'Mo Well-Known Member

See attached

Attached Files:

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That bathroom looks fine, and if that quote you've got fixes the problems, then maybe get a second quote to compare and just go ahead. If it was in bad condition or ugly, you could start over, but it looks pretty good to me. It sounds like they are almost doing the whole thing.

One caution... our tiler did tell us that you cannot "patch" waterproofing. I wonder if this chap will warrant the waterproofing of the finished product for the whole room. I doubt he will and if there is a future leak, he can say "that is a problem with the part of the room I didn't touch".

If he will not warrant the whole job, then I'd get quotes to remove all tiles and start from scratch.

That is also why we always have the tiler do the waterproofing so that he cannot blame anyone else if it leaks.

5. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

You're crackers if you gut that bathroom. It looks fine. Get a few more opinions I say. If it's an old house you will likely never totally fix the issue anyway. You would probably be better of just trying to fix the leaks as best you can and do a repaint of the bathroom with mould resistant paint every 5 years.

markson likes this.
  6. D'Mo

D'Mo Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for your input guys... My thinking is, if I redo the bathroom, am I potentially adding more value to the home?

I have done absolutely zero renovations in it yet

Obviously my thinking could be wrong here, that's why I value your expert opinions :)

7. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Getting rid of a leak that is causing Mould won't add value and that bathroom as it is looks fine for a rental so.....no.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't change anything just to improve value because I think the bathroom looks fine. If there are rooms under the bathroom then you might have to resolve any leak issue. Our bathroom is over our car park so any leak is clearly visible and isn't damaging anything underneath. If your bathroom is above a car parking area you might be able to see the problem from below. If it a slab one level house, I don't know (I have no experience in that style of house).

If you can resolve the leak (or if it isn't a big problem and damaging other rooms) you could keep an eye on it and try to resolve the mould.

Mould is a problem that needs to resolved.

9. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Also why do you want to remove the bath? I put baths in, can't understand why you would take it out, especially if you have a separate shower.