Bathroom Renovation

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by abi1, 28th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. abi1

abi1 Active Member

Hi All,

We bought a house recently. We want to renovate the bathroom and toilet and knock down the wall between them. I am pretty sure the wall is non load bearing. We'll also close off a couple of doorways too.

I am not if I need council approval for this? I am getting conflicting advice. I know a couple of people did similar renovations a few years ago without approval and the builders/plumbers we've asked for quotes said we dont need approval because its all internal. But I called the council and a few private rectifiers and they said we do (on phone call to council, they said any alternation requiring moving any walls or doors will need approval).

I'd appreciate it if you could share your experience, particularity people who did similar renovations, PPOR or investment. Apparently the cost of approval will be around $4-5k and I could do without paying this.

We live in a single story house in Blacktown council.

Thanks

Last edited: 28th Sep, 2021
    VanillaSlice and ozinvestor like this.
  2. ff3

ff3 Well-Known Member

Council guidelines here: https://www.blacktown.nsw.gov.au/Plan-build/Stage-1-find-out/Approval-you-need

Really it's up to you. I didnt seek approval on renovations in my PPOR but am prepared to wear any issues arising from lack of it.

That was a few years ago and all good. Primarily didn't go via council for cost and the time it would take. Plus I know my council is generally lenient

3. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

It’s a minor renovation- you don’t need approval.

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

In NSW to remove a internal or external Load bearing wall you need a Complying Development Certificate.

You can confirm this by calling your local councils Planning department and ask if your subject wall can be removed and what is required to do such. You could also get a structural engineer to take a look and make a determination for you if the wall is load bearing or not.

A “Complying Development Certificate” can be issued by Local Council (Up to 6 weeks) or By a Private certifier (As quick as three working days)

If you remove a wall without approval you could potentially have problems with the sale of your home.

5. abi1

abi1 Active Member

So what could be the issues when doing reno without approval? Is there a fine to be paid? Also could I ask how you know your council is lenient?

6. abi1

abi1 Active Member

So why are the builders saying I dont need approval because its internal wall etc? and apparently others are doing this without it. I got quotes from plumber/carpenters and they say they have licence and know what they're talking about.

What is the process in getting Complying Development Certificate? Is it different to Construction Certificate?
    I've been told I have to get someone to draft the new plan, get an architect to review, get a structural engineering report, then private certifier and then council?

I've been told all of this will cost $4-5k which is a lot of money.

Also I want to know what happens if I dont get approval? I am assuming lots of people are on the same boat. Do I have to get the approval then? is there a fine involved? They cant ask for the bathroom to be changed to original layout.

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Just make 1 phone call to your local council and they will tell you exactly what you need to do.

If you want to deviate from that and roll the dice, go for it.

I wouldn't.

Observer and wylie like this.
  8. ff3

ff3 Well-Known Member

Depends. They could ask you to stop work, ask you to seek approval, fine you, any of the above. Or none of the above.

Tradies may not necessarily care about council approval but you're on the hook for whatever happens. Just remember that.

Observer likes this.
  9. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Did they go up into the roof to check?

10. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Often don't have to ;)
    There are visual factors that can indicate if it is a truss roof or not.

The reasoning behind all the rules is for consumer protection, I have viewed houses with a view to buy but didn't win at auction that when For Sale 6 months later walls have been taken out (or relocated) and I can see it was load bearing and in a year or two there will be issue's, even a 100kg plus person walking across the roof could be enough to make it collapse :eek: (they took out the house rear wall to the old skillion extension leaving only the wall top plate as a load bearing beam, so 45mm over a 2.7 opening :confused:).
    Asked the agent about permits and council approvals, "umm err not sure", later phone call "no building works have been done in the last 7 years" = no council approval o_O

People forget that older pic's of the house can be found online to make a quick comparison :p

ozinvestor and Shazz@ like this.
  11. abi1

abi1 Active Member

I know the wall is not load bearing because its hollow and its parallel to roof joists.
    Council promised someone will call me back but havent heard from them.
    I've heard its more difficult to get the council to do the certification, is that right? Anything I can do to convince them to take up the job? :confused:

ozinvestor likes this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

A nugatory promise made by a young chap at reception just waiting to go on a lunch break.

You need to chase them. And chase. And chase.

I found flirting works.

balwoges, craigc and Observer like this.
  13. abi1

abi1 Active Member

Yes, probably!

Is it true that councils have long waiting times when going with council? and they push you to use private certifiers? if so, how can i convince them to take my application?

Thanks

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Regarding waiting times it depends how busy the council is. My preference would be to go to a PC and get it done quickly, assuming it is a load bearing wall.

Maybe ring up a PC in the area and have a chat re the process.

Stoffo likes this.
  15. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Technically all stud walls are hollow.....
    Just because it runs parallel to roof joists doesn't mean it isn't supporting a hanging beam.....
    Or worse a bracing wall (see pic)

If you/builder are sure it isn't load bearing you could just start the job, if it turns out to be load bearing or a bracing wall you could contact a Private Certifier (yes, they will be far quicker than council).

Attached Files:

16. abi1

abi1 Active Member

Do we have to pay contribution for these minor work? I was told that the house if affected by contribution when we bought it. How much would this cost?