Bathroom Renovation for IP

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Art Vandelay, 13th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Well-Known Member

We are going to be renovating the bathroom in a recently purchased IP in Kallangur and would like some input on the proposed layout. It's 3/1/1 with the current toilet located next to the laundry, and bathroom consisting of a shower/vanity/bath.
    Current layout and proposed layout attached, as well as a photo of it's current state. A few questions we're debating:
    - is a large shower better than a shower over bath?
    - 750mm vanity okay for a main (only) bathroom?
    - what's a comfortable width for a toilet between a wall and a vanity?
    Just occurred to me that we may have to swap the vanity and toilet around to ensure the door can open in case of emergency..
    Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated!

IMG_0637.PNG IMG_0638.JPG

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Can you make the door a slider? That stops someone losing their kneecaps if the door is opened while they are on the loo.

750mm vanity is fine for a main bathroom.

Toilet should sit in the middle of a "run of wall" of 900mm but that can still work with 800mm if you don't have 900mm.

EN710 likes this.
  3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Will removing bathtub cause issue with tenat with young family?
    Considering cost to change plumbing around, can't you keep vanity position as it is, walk in shower next to it (instead of bath) and change current shower space to toilet?

4. Art Vandelay

Thanks @wylie . Door could be made a slider against the inside wall of the bathroom, would just have to mount the toilet roll holder on the vanity. Could potentially turn it into an outward opening door as well.

If I lock in the 750 vanity, the difference will be shared between the shower and toilet. As long as the toilet is usable and comfortable, I think the balance of space should be in the shower so it's as open as possible. This would also mean young families can place a tub in there for young children etc if they desired.

Did consider keeping the tub and putting a shower over, however it's not a big tub as it is and I think it would be a bit awkward to use as a shower. From a thread I read the other day someone suggested a large shower with removable shower head to allow for young children etc. Also if the shower is large enough they should be able to place a tub in there if required.
    It's a wooden floor with ~700mm access so I'm not overly concerned about moving things around. We will probably swap the old copper pipes to poly as well, so might as well get the layout right now.
    Walk in shower next to the current vanity location could work well though.

EN710 likes this.
  5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

True, in general I dislike shower over bath for daily use. Was told that removing then will impact the marketability of one of the house so I decided against it.

If you reduce the vanity to 600mm, i think it will still be big enough and allow a bit more space for shower and toilet

I change my layout as attached, keeping toilet separate on the other room

Attached Files:

6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I was told removing a bath takes away appeal too. Only two of my properties have a bath, the other 2 are showers only.

Haven't experienced any issues... at least that I am aware of anyway

Last edited: 13th Dec, 2016
    EN710 likes this.
  7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@Art Vandelay
    I had a similar bathroom (you can't see the shower, but it's in the same position as yours)
    I changed it to a very similar layout

I used a 750mm wide vanity, but with a shallow cabinet (otherwise it would have been too bulky).

Bathroom was about 1.6m wide too.

I went with a swinging door over a sliding door.
    Sliding door would have meant cavity unless i used a hanging sliding door and that didn't work well as I was tiling floor to ceiling.

Generally toilets are about 600-650mm deep. So when sitting, that leaves about 250-300mm for knee space before getting smacked by a door. Close couple toilets have the most shallow depth (short of going in wall cavity units - too expensive and maintenance worries me to use them).

Attached Files:

Last edited: 13th Dec, 2016
    Art Vandelay and wylie like this.
  8. wylie

It will depend on the area. We live in a family area. Our IPs are in the same family area. We've had tenants decide against our houses due to not having a bath. We've also lost people because of not having a deck.

In a yuppie area, no bath is fine, but big people still like a bath, so if you can fit one in, it is a no brainer.

EN710 likes this.
  9. wylie

Wow neK. What a difference. That white room looks twice the size of the green one. Nice reno.

10. neK

neK Well-Known Member

That was probably me.
    Shower is so much quicker than bath.
    They get a bath in one of those round tubs i picked up from bunnings/masters.

11. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Floor plan of toilet
    No dimensions though...
    Builder also decided to swap the window out for a smaller one because for two reasons
    1. Privacy
    2. Water splashing onto the window sill and causing issues later.

Attached Files:

Art Vandelay likes this.
  12. neK

neK Well-Known Member

True. Mine are in Sydney (15-20km from CBD), so I do have more variety of people coming in.

EN710 likes this.
  13. Art Vandelay

Thanks all for the replies. I suppose my options are:
    1) Keep existing configuration of single separate toilet and shower/bath/vanity in bathroom
    2) Additional toilet in bathroom with shower over bath
    3) Additional toilet in bathroom with large shower and no bath

I will speak with a few local PM's and decide from there. Will post an after picture when done in the New Year.

EN710 likes this.
  14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@Art Vandelay
    This is a floor plan of my IP.

The bathroom and toilet are separate too.
    Bathroom is 1.8m x 1.8m.

Given the norm/expectation these days is 2 toilets, I reconfigured the bathroom from a vanity + tub (shower over tub) into a vanity, toilet and 800x1000mm shower. I also kept the existing toilet. This way I have 2 toilets + 1 shower.

Note: The before image i posted earlier is of a different property.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 14th Dec, 2016

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.