Bathroom renovation advice needed

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbie_p, 22nd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Personally, i found ebay to have a wide variety of products and generally if you buy from the same buyer, their products will match in terms of the style (wall mixers, basin ,mixer, toilet roll holder etc).

Attila Zoltan likes this.
  2. robbie_p

hi guys!

I am busy purchasing the products for my ensuite reno. I am looking for a 3 in 1 light, but i dont like the look of the cheaper IXL lights (about $100) but the nicer IXL lights are over $500!

Could you guys recommend something in between?

3. robbie_p

Also..

I am going to give the tiler, who quoted me $3900 for the install only, the job.

I have the below questions:
    1: Should i check his licence?
    2: What is an acceptable deposit to pay?

Also, should i expect the floor tiles (300x300) to line up with wall tiles (300x600)?

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

i found the same thing with the heat lamp combo lights. look at other brands or even split it up, perhaps a few downlights and fan/heater unit. see what else is out there

do a search of his name and company to check it out.

he'll probably tell you a deposit, its not a huge job but he will need gear to get him going (grout etc), so around 20-30%??. he will let you know.

yeah as long as the tiles you get are from the same manufacturer or you have physically checked them before ordering they should match.
    The tiler will let you know once he opens the packs, but if you are getting them from a tile shop check.otherwise I got mine off ebay (same seller and brand), i ordered the same sizes and they matched up spot on

5. robbie_p

Well i have started looking at tiles and have pretty much got my mind set on a dark grey floor tile.

Initially i was going to go with a gloss white wall tile but then i thought there would be toooo much white as the vanity, cabinet and toilet are going to be white.. what you guys think?

So now im leaning towards wall tile that matches the floor tiles i.e both grey.

Attached Files:

• ES1.png
      ES1.png
      File size:
      326.9 KB
      Views:
    • ES2.png
      ES2.png
      File size:
      325 KB
      Views:
    • ES3.png
      ES3.png
      File size:
      740.3 KB
      Views:
    • ES4.png
      ES4.png
      File size:
      815.9 KB
      Views:
  6. Attila Zoltan

Attila Zoltan Active Member

how about adding in a lighter shade of grey for the walls. would make the space look bigger too, right?

Lighter brighter rooms would probably appeal to a larger crowd.

Like this for example. How nice and clean does that space look? :) All white fittings too so you can visualise with the stuff you have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. robbie_p

Funny you mentioned that... just after posting those pics i realized that it does look a bit too "dark", whereas the gloss white seemed too "bright"...

So im looking at a light grey :)

8. bob shovel

we went all white gloss walls. made it feel bigger and the gloss makes it feel fancier. We stuck with white as it was simple and crowd pleaser. as ppor you may want something more "exciting". A lighter grey gloss could be the go.
    Good luck! there are so many tiles out there!!

Attached Files:

9. Attila Zoltan

That's the way. Different shades of the same palette to give the room some shape.
    If it's all white you cant tell where the bathtub ends and the toilet begins.

From what i've seen, if you have crappy old fixtures that you don't want to be seen, make them blend in. If you have nice looking new fixtures make the walls and floors a different colour so everything is distinct and stands out.
    Goes both ways.
    If you have say a light grey stone bathtub, light grey walls behind it hide it. In that case white walls look good as they make the exotic bathtub stand out as a feature.

Only time I would go white on white was if I was doing a bathroom recovery exercise where old toilet and bathtub were maintained, say when purely redoing the waterproofing and retiling as opposed to refurbishing everything.

Edit: maybe not necessarily old fixtures, but if youre using stock standard bunnings fixtures for example that dont look great, then id consider going all-white to put the emphasis on 'clean' rather than 'look at my bathtub'.

10. robbie_p

Thanks for the picture..that colour combo looks really good! Where did you get your tiles from? Really like that colour!

11. bob shovel

Ebay! matt floor tiles and gloss for the walls. the matt "hides" the dust and dirt better!

12. Attila Zoltan

when buying tiles off eBay, would you bother ordering a few samples? Or just look at the pictures real good and hope for the best? Just wondering as I also need some tiles soon.

13. bob shovel

Depends how fussy you are. The photos are pretty close and they would want them to be to avoid refunds etc.
    tiles look different shades with different light anyway. in the showroom, in the carton, on the walls, different times of day, different globes/lights. It's all going to make different shades. it's tough to choose but us pick something "safe" to prevent surprises.anything textured or patterns may be riskier

14. robbie_p

Yeh, probably safer getting a few samples in (which i have been doing) and i have found some really nice tiles.

One thing I am thinking of doing is saving myself $900 and keeping the existing window (just painting in same colour as existing door frames and putting in a roller blind).

If you have a look at the photo i attached, you will see i have outlined the new shower and vanity. There is not enough space to increase the shower or vanity and further. You will see that there is enough space not to have the vanity up against a potential wall, so there might not be the need to seal it up.

The way i see it.. could that $900 be used elsewhere around the house to add value?

There is so much work needed on my house.. bathroom, kitchen, lounge, 3 bedrooms, my 600sqm terraced "jungle" of a garden, my 120sqm verandah which needs to be re-paved/ decked.. the list literally goes on!

Attached Files:

15. bob shovel

Yeah that looks like a neat fit, actually seeing it marked out! The window will look good as it is. It's deceiving just goingoff sketchs!
    Personally not a fan of roller blinds though, it's with all or nothing with them. Some big wooden slat venetians, or the timber Louvre type ones perhaps

16. robbie_p

Yeh agreed.. for an ensuite roller blinds wouldnt look good, Venetians (Wood and Timber Style) with a slightly different colour to the tiled walls might break up the white too.. it will only cost about $200 from blindsonline to having something custom made.

17. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Rather than start another thread thought I would piggy back off this, hope that's alright rob :) what's everyone's opinions on toilets been hidden behind the door when you walk in. Is it a must, have a 2 story and have a WC downstairsand seperate ensuite up stairs. So main bathroom that has bath, shower and toilet. Does the toilet need to be hidden when you would have the door closed if you were in there.

18. robbie_p

No worries Brady :)

Brady likes this.
  19. robbie_p

After taking many samples (which looked great in the store), then not so great in my ensuite, i finally decided on this tile for the floor (400x400) and going for a gloss white on the walls (400x200).

Attached Files:

20. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

We are just about to do ensuite and were going to do very similar Robbie. Floor tiles grey stone-like and gloss white walls. The pics of other bathrooms I like best have a little feature grey on the walls as well though - usually in the shower, but this doesn't suit our design. Will try and upload pics to explain.
    upload_2015-7-21_17-46-50.png
    upload_2015-7-21_17-48-3.png