Bathroom renovation advice needed

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbie_p, 22nd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Ah ok.. so you going with a rectangle shower opposed to the diamond shape?

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Rectangle, but with a door at the angle for access to the vanity

3. robbie_p

so something like this?

Attached Files:

4. bob shovel

Yep

5. robbie_p

Out of interest.. a local electrician quoted me $500 for the electrical work, which included 1st and 2nd fix (not quite sure what this is), 2 new power points and light switchs as well as the supply and installation of new exhaust fan and IXL light.

6. bob shovel

seems reasonable.
    He'll cone round first run cables while it's gutted, then come back to fit lights, power points etc

7. robbie_p

Hi guys,

I received a 3rd quote and the the costs are as follows (install only):
    Quote 1: $9,000
    Quote 2: $3,900
    Quote 3: $7,000

I'm still trying understand 1) why is there such a big difference in price between quotes for install only and b) which of the 3 quotes is inline with what i should expect to pay for the install only of a small ensuite?

8. bob shovel

As a guess I would have said under $4-5k not including the window. How high up are you tiling? Id think floor to ceiling for those prices
    The first guy doesnt want the job, so went high. unless he quoted something extra??
    Still a bit of difference. Were you happy with Quote 2 man? You may need to check if he is including grout, tile adhesive etc. but seems like a good fair price.

How long did they say to get it done? Probably 5days id think.

Are you doing the demo?

9. robbie_p

The amounts i mentioned per quote didnt include the window (which they quoted about $1500 - bit excessive). Iv pretty much stripped down the quotes to be "like for like" in terms of work to be carried out. These prices included the demo and also excluded electrical. They all said job would take about a week.

The tilling is up to ceiling, but is only about 25sqm in total (floor and wall)

10. robbie_p

Been looking at a few local suppliers of products, then looked on ebay and found what i was looking for soooo much cheaper! I might just pay extra to have a custom made shower (opposed to just buying online).

Below are the prices of the items im looking to buy:

Basin Mixer $59.00
    Wall Mixer $163.00
    heated rail $134.00
    toilet roll holder $29.00

These items exclude freight, but coming from same ebay seller
    Vanity $220.00
    Cabinet $99.00
    Toilet $259.00

I'm not defintely going with these items, but these are close to the style and price im looking at.

Attached Files:

11. robbie_p

O yes... took a few measurements and put tape to outline shower and vanity etc.. I think I'm going to go for a 900 x 1200 shower.. just seems to have the best fit.

This size, (900 x 1200) is almost 50% BIGGER than my current shower (about 850 x 850), so its going to seem HUGE!

12. bob shovel

Yeah ebay is the go once you know the style you're after!
    attached is the cost for my bathroom (2years ago), off ebay. I got the same (or v similar) mixer, toilet and towel rail!
    Good shower size! best to make good use of the area available

Attached Files:

Attila Zoltan likes this.
  13. Attila Zoltan

Attila Zoltan Active Member

Interesting following this thread. Pretty much what i'm gearing up to do in a month or two. I have two bathrooms both with damaged waterproofing showing water damage on the timber floor from below. Two questions I thought id ask, which are not relevant to your project, but I thought might be useful included here for anyone ewlse reading the thread in the future.

1. I believe there is Asbestos sheeting under my bathroom tiling. House is on stumps with a wooden subfloor. So I think the construction in the bathroom from bottom up is: wooden chipboard sub-floor, asbestos sheeting on top, tiles adhered directly to this asbestos sheeting. My question to the bathroom gurus on this thread, if I were to demolish myself, how far would I go before I called in the asbestos guys? Remove all fittings, remove wall tiles, and dont touch the floor at all?

2. Carrying on with the asbestos theme above, anyone have an idea of what it would cost to get it removed? Assuming OP bathroom size- 2.5m x 2m lets say.

3. Last thing, everyone so far has mentioned step 1 is for the plumber to come out and disconnect all the pipes. My question is, is this something that can be done DIY? Isn't it just a matter of buying appropriate caps/blanks from Bunnings, switching off mains, relieving water pressure, unscrewing and capping water/sewerage pipes?
    Is it really necessary to get a plumber out just to blank the services?

14. bob shovel

Plumber usually only needed if moving pipes. Otherwise go nuts and swap fittings/tap ware, and cap as needed

The "a" word.... How sure are you of what's under? Has someone scared you mentioning asbestos?? Are you sure it's not concrete slab or concrete sheets? What's the age of the house?
    I dont think there would be chip board used in a wet area. Has there been a reno previously?

15. bob shovel

Get a bathroom guy out for a quote and see what they think

16. Attila Zoltan

post removed as I realised I was hijacking the thread :/

Last edited: 10th Jul, 2015
  17. bob shovel

Ah yep that's chip board. can you rip some more away to get a better look.
    It's probably deteriorated from moisture under the house. It may just be the form for a slab.

The internal photo may just be fibro packers (I'm on my phone so not super clear)

might be worth a new thread. Get the whole reno in one place

18. robbie_p

Started looking at tiles today... too many choices!

Going to have a look at Choices Flooring tomorrow.. the same place i got my laminate flooring from for our main room and WIR. Apparently they got an interior designer in tomorrow, so they will give me some ideas for colour coding (which im useless at!)

19. robbie_p

Also just got quote to seal up and put in a smaller window.. currently its about 2100 x 900mm, getting it reduced to a 500 x 900 aluminium awning window.. quote was $900.

20. Attila Zoltan

what was the final verdict on best place to buy bathroom products?
    eBay or a renovation auction?

eBay is certainly easier, but are the auctions much cheaper, thus worth the extra effort?