Bathroom renovation advice needed

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbie_p, 22nd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

also did a sketch for your main bathroom, potential there to increase size!
    my preference is shrinking the laundry to create space else where. you want a mini tub washing machine then some cupboard space. which on my drawing you'll get.
    then that leaves a new bigger bathroom. i'll leave the rest up to you im done for now. pretty much a blank canvas. dont be scared to move plumbing!!
    i see a corner spa, big shower, bigger vanity and you may want a seperate toilet in the mix perhaps.

Attached Files:

2. bob shovel

dodgey photo of a small ldy. mini tub installed, then room for washing machine, then small bench space. yours would be longer :)oops:) than my one i'd say.

...ok idea!:p
    seperate toilet with linen in ldy and storage to bathroom.

you can do the rest!:D

Attached Files:

3. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the suggestion! I knew by adding pictures it would illustrate the door position better,

You are correct, the space between the wall to edge of window frame is just over 700, so it should be enough space to put in a conver vanity.

With regards to the existing window (2100 x 900), do you think it would you affect costs too muchto raise it by 1m or more? I guess it would need to be raised, new window fitting and cementing / bricking the outside. It might also be a remove the existing window completely and put in something smaller and might higher, which will free up some space and give more options? That current window is way too big and doesn’t really serve much purpose (no direct light coming through and just looks onto the neighbours fence)

4. robbie_p

Funny you mention this... i did the exact thing last night and had the exact same idea! My wife just told me to concentrate on one job before i start the next! lol

5. bob shovel

yeah it will costs you a new window plus the outside work, an option instead of brick is just to clad that small section, especially if you dont see it.
    not a tough job but depends how handy you are. you migjt be able to find a window off gumtree to suit and save a heap. definately worth it imo as it will make everything bigger in there

6. robbie_p

I have asked the tilers to add this into his "quote for everything", but he gave me a total "thumb suck" amount of about $2000. Once i have this quote I will then see what i can do myself or if i can get better prices if i contact the other tradesman individually.

With regards to the existing bulkhead, the tiler mentioned that it cant be removed because it actually supports the outside brick work?

7. bob shovel

yeah dont touch the bulkhead, usually serves a purpose, doesnt look like a feature where it is
    whats 2k? window? i would think that. source a window 900x <1100 and when you rip everything out get a chippy to do it. day job around $500, plus timber and some clafding few hundred i guess

8. robbie_p

I think he thumb-sucked $2000 for the new window and cement or brickwork, but i think this is something i can do myself (or atleast give it a go) and if i cant do it, ill pay someone to finish the job :)

bob shovel likes this.
  9. bob shovel

thats the way, getting it out easy. bit of mucking around with putting it back, a chippy and nail gun will smash it

10. robbie_p

Took a walk across to Stegbar they have 900 x 1000 windows for about $300, dont see it costing over $1500 to fit and patch up 1sqm with cement/brick

11. bob shovel

bargain! thats a good price new

12. robbie_p

Something that crossed my mind now that I have my mind set on sealing up the current window (2100 x 900) and pitting in a very small window, is potentially putting in a "walk in shower" with a single sheet of glass, moving the toilet to where current vanity is (out of sit from main bedroom) and putting in a larger vanity on the right side.

The only costs i see increasing are the plumbing costs, which would be:

1: Supplying new shower location with water supply (althought there should be water from the toilet?)
    2: Water supply for vanity
    3: Waste water for new toilet location

What your thoughts?

Attached Files:

13. robbie_p

Wold it matter that the new shower location would be under the bulk head?

14. bob shovel

is the house on piers? thats a lot of plumbing to move, just about everything will need some work. doable though $$
    bulkhead not an issue over shower needs a fan so it doesnt get mouldy etc

doing that you'd also be best to almost rip off all the wall sheets to chase in the plumbing around the place. its an option but i wouldnt head that way from what i understand

15. robbie_p

Yeh i think ill scrap that idea! Also just spoke to tiler and kinda advised against it and personally wouldnt do it himself.

If its going to add an additional 3-5k onto the job, i would rather use that money on another room in the house.

I currently have a budget which i plan to use for the ensuite, kitchen and other bathroom/laundry and other bits and bobs (flooring, lights etc.)

You might see a new thread started shortly for my kitchen, which is terrible and next on the list to reno!

16. bob shovel

ensuite will be good practise then!
    ensuite you should able to do around 8 at a guees, incl window
    get onto ikea design tool for the kitchen! i'll find mine

17. robbie_p

I'll send you some pics of my kitchen... its horrid! I guess my biggest worry is finding something that will complement my slate floor (dont get me started on that too!)

18. Gatherer

Gatherer New Member

Heres a sequence of events
    1. Isolation of services
    2. Demolition
    3. Wall & Ceiling relocation/Framing (Relocation of exhaust fans, lights or shower heads)
    4. Floor framing (If required)
    5. Plumbing rough in
    6. Electrical rough in
    7. Wall & Ceiling sheeting/plastering
    8. Painting of Ceiling/Tops of the walls
    9. Install Sand Cement floor bed
    10. Install shower hob/Floor angles
    11. Polyurethane floor &wall Joints
    12. Install waterproofing
    13. Install floor tiling
    14. Install Wall tiling
    15. Install Grout & Silicone to all edges
    16. Install bath vanity & toilet
    17. Carpentry fit out
    18. Install Mirror
    19. Plumbing fit off
    20. Electrical fit out
    21. Install accessories
    22. Painting touch ups
    23. Defect checks
    24. Certificates Waterproofing, Electrical, Plumbing
    In blue is recommended to use trades.

Hope this helps

Ichigo, S.T and Perp like this.
  19. robbie_p

Got my first quote back, which was $14k for everything, including closing up a large window (2m x 1m) and putting in a smaller window.

For now, i guess the only area where i could cut costs would be the demolition (which i need to find out how much it cost) and looking at doing the window myself. There material costs were below.

· Wall & Floor Tiles – purchase cost $30 per metre
    · 900mm Vanity Unit – p.c. $600
    · Tapware – p.c. $400
    · Back To Wall Toilet Suite – p.c. $450
    · Semi Frameless Shower Screen – p.c. $900
    · Heated Towel Rack – p.c. $300
    · Accessories – p.c. $250

20. 380

380 Well-Known Member