Bathroom renovation advice needed

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbie_p, 22nd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hahah thanks mate!

I'm in Adelaide and the winter mornings are a little chilly when getting out the shower, but im sure a heat light will work wonders opposed to heated flooring.

With regards to heated rail, i was thinking of getting it wired behind the gyprock (while i do demolition), but that might be hassle down the line if i need to upgrade / changed or remove it.

2. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@robbie_p

1. shower recess are good idea.. get a ready made solution from bunnings..

2.heated floor.. over kill.. IXL lights will do the job for you!

3.get it from local store, and get electrician to install it.

please share photos of vanity and tiles when you get to that point.

3. robbie_p

I am going to start looking at vanity this weekend. Suggestions of a good place to start?

I have never had to go out and look for a vanity, but ill try Beamont tiles, Harvey Norman and possibly Ikea.

4. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@robbie_p

avoid first two on your list.

I am not sure whats best area in Adelaide for this sort of stuff... may be local PC user can guide you on that

look for renovator's auction places.. or building material auction places... they tend to have good stock with bargain.

you will find most of the stuff their and cheaper too

Phantom likes this.
  5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

go to those shops then look for the equiv on ebay! and gumtree
    yeah like you said put a plug alongside the rail, as close as you can but not behind where towels go. i might have a photo of mine

6. robbie_p

Interesting, i was told by most people to look at the first two places? Reasons... over priced?

7. bob shovel

yep!
    plenty of other suppliers. just start googling. the mrs usespintrest a bit to get an initial idea of style and colours

8. robbie_p

Thanks! I had a look on Houzz to get ideas on colours / style and design...

Luckily we do have a 2nd bathroom / shower, so i wont tooooo pressed for time, but I'm sure between now and when the job starts i will have a much better ideas of prices etc.

I did have a look on the Beamont tiles website... now i know why they dont put prices on their products!

9. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@robbie_p

overpriced and not much of stock.

One more thing comes to mind.. if you extend shower screen, you can make do two shower heads. may have to use full length and sliding door for shower screen.

(wont cost much more)

I have done it at my last build and it was one of the selling point

Last edited: 25th Jun, 2015
  10. robbie_p

So the exact same product (make / model etc) can be found online for much cheaper? i.e. these products are not exclusively found at these stored?

11. bob shovel

12. robbie_p

Really? Sorry for my ignorance.. but what would be the reason for having a shower with two shower heads?

13. bob shovel

not quite but get an idea of styles and you'll find similar online. depends on how comfortable you are getting stuff without actually "touching it" before purchase

14. bob shovel

radelaide might not have double showers yet:D
    its fancier, not sure of practicality

380 likes this.
  15. robbie_p

With regards to the demolition.. I am happy to attempt it myself if it means me saving a few hundred $$$. I need to get a skip for other building materials i need to dispose anyway.. but ill also try sell/give away vanity/toilet/shower screen..

Is there much i can do wrong in terms of the demolition? The idea will be to remove existing shower, vanity and toilet, then start removing existing wall tiles (although the gyprock they attached too might need to come off anyway according to the tiler).

Never used a jackhammer before, my only concern is getting carried away and damaging the existing slab underneath!

16. bob shovel

you'll be right!
    you wont have a huge amount to dispose. have you got a trailer? or put a pile aside and slowly put in the council bin, or council might do a collection for, if its bagged/boxed nicey they should take it.

jackhammer, theyll neef to redo grout so dont worry to much. just hire a decent one! a hammer drill wont cut it

17. robbie_p

I'm actually thinking of getting a trailer as i always seems to be using the ones for Bunnings or hiring them out, but my carport has become a bit of a dumping zone at the moment, which I dont mind at all, but the time will come where i need to get a skip and get rid of it all.

I'll definitely make sure i hire a decent jackhammer.. i have a few small jobs around the house that I need it for.

18. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Exactly what I would have suggested. If you're handy you even do some of that yourself. (Except electrical)
    You're biggest cost will he tiles and labour. Obviously this is a skilled job so don't try if you haven't done it before. You won't he happy with the result and still have to get a tiler in to redo it. Also you'll have a stack of used tiles to clean/replace.
    Basic plumbing isn't too bad if you're handy.

19. robbie_p

Here some pics of my current ensuite..

Attached Files:

20. bob shovel

ok. the photos tell a different story the drawing. the door is in a different position, that may be why it was confusing

now my sketch...
    first id look at changing the window, the floor to ceiling (bulkhead) is restricting wall space for a cabinet. getting a window a meter or so off the ground will allow a corner vanity in there. you may be able to get a 900x900 corner but the toilet may be in the way? by the looks going off the tiles, its about 700 from wall to window. so you should give another 100ish for space. your room is 1800 wide less 800 for toilet, so by my virtual measurements you'll fit a 900x900 vanity. (do my workings make sense??)
    example:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Corner-V...=LH_DefaultDomain_15&var=&hash=item3aac747e32

now that you move the vanity across you'll get a bigger shower. I'd be thinking up to 1500 could be possible butting it up to vanity, the only thing will be if you go square or have a door on a 45degree to give you space at the vanity. id think the 45 will open it up better.

shower go framless or semi framless (no tinting) to make the room appear bigger. ill let you shop around. might need to get a glazier out to make a custom. although ebay has the square version:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/900X1500...23?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5676516633

you wont need to move the plumbing just get a flash shower head to get the water out further.... or if your keen get a plumber to get the shower head to drop down from the ceiling, not a huge job and could make a big impact. photo of the one i did included.
    Also in the photo if you look closely in the mirror you can see what i did with the heated towel rail power point! you'll probably need to do the same, just above the rail. not a big job for a sparky to drop a power point especially if they are out to do the lights.

hows that? make sense? 20140130_203812.jpg added measurements.jpg

Esh likes this.