Bathroom Reno in Strata Property NSW

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Danny370z, 5th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Danny370z

Danny370z Well-Known Member

Hey just before Christmas 2020 i bought a Townhouse in NSW settling end on Jan, I am looking at doing a Reno on the Kitchen and Bathrooms. Has anyone had experience in dealing with Strata in regards to Reno's ?
    I would assume the standard i.e. Waterproofing certificate and licensed trades.... I've heard of Some strata's wanting to charge 3k just for you do the work.... Thanks in advance :)

2. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Hey Danny, I've dealt with quite a few strata renos, usually kitchens are minor works but bathrooms where waterproofing is involved can be more complicated.

Best case they are happy with certificate and licensed trades but i've dealt with a few stratas now that want new by-laws drafted, an EGM called for approval and then lodging the by-laws, all which can take up time and money. I would have a high level chat with the strata manager to get a feel for what they would require so you can plan ahead.

Ted Varrick and Tom Rivera like this.
  3. Danny370z

Danny370z Well-Known Member

Hey Mel Happy New Year!! Long time no see, Thanks for the reply. There is only three in our complex so I am hoping it wont be much of an issue. No common walls either. I have tried to make contact with strata but they are having a nice break :D. I also want to see if i can get the Gas connected as its on the street and free for Jemena to install a meter. I guess that one is more of a long shot.. ;)

4. KayDee

KayDee Member

Hey @Danny370z, I am interested to do this as well in the future and am in the lookout for a small townhouse complex in Sydney. May I ask where you bought yours and if you used a BA to help you? There's slim picking at the moment in the Sydney area.

Cheers