Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Bathroom Reno builder or company recommendations

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Tom Howes, 31st Jul, 2015.

1. Tom Howes

Tom Howes Active Member

Hi all a friend of mine is doing a bathroom and ensuite Reno and looking for a good company or builder to do the job. Any recommendations would be appreciated. The house is in the Northern Beaches of Sydney.

2. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

I work with a company that sells bathroom products in Blacktown, Western Sydney.

My #1 tip is to do a licence check through the fair trading website before you decide to proceed with anybody. This check will confirm 1. They are legally qualified to do your work and 2. Any and all past infringements listed against them. My #2 tip is to focus on the quality of the work, rather than the speed or price point. Particularly look out for the waterproofing, I suggest 3 coats of waterproofing.

I have some trade contacts who live out here but are not strangers to doing work in North Sydney, if your friend is interested, PM me and I'll pass on details. Its still preferable to get someone more local if the price ranges and the work quality are similar though.

Prices on bathroom products are cheaper out west for the same high end brands or equivalent quality products too. If you're interested, I can message you with the facebook page of the company I work with, so you can see some of the pictures of products and showroom displays. They help out with the selection too, balancing the budget so you save where you can and invest where its practical. For example, a wall mixer is VERY important and I suggest a good one for anybody that wants to hold the house for 10+ years, albeit the mirror above the vanity may be a cheapie if the job is an investment reno.

It might even motivate your friend to try the 40 min drive, shopping out west for a bargain!

Tom Howes likes this.
  3. Tom Howes

Tom Howes Active Member

Thanks heaps for the reply.

4. smator

smator Well-Known Member

Hi Chabs
    Looking at doing a bathroom and ensuite myself. Can I get the Facebook page?
    Thanks!

5. ross100

ross100 Well-Known Member

Hi Chabs
    any contacts in Melbourne West

6. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

Hi Ross,

No contacts there unfortunately, but if you check for 1. past work, 2. Licence qualifications and are 3. easily communicating what you want, that usually covers most things. I also suggest choosing what you want and telling your renovator you want to use those products. If you organise a renovator first, it is incredibly likely they will try and convince you to choose certain products that makes it easier for them, rather than things that will fit your goals. Of course, sometimes certain things may be more expensive, but ask a few renovators their opinions because you'd be amazed by how many renovators claim something simple is "alot of extra work and cost".

Tom Howes and ross100 like this.
  7. ross100

ross100 Well-Known Member

Thanks Chabs