Bathroom reno blues

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by mouseburger, 24th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mouseburger

mouseburger Well-Known Member

Just needed to have a first world gripe. I knew my place needed a bit of fixing but wasn't expecting this so soon having only moved in 6 months ago. My bathroom looks like a DIY job from early noughties. Builders started renos last week because of leaking - water from the shower was seeping through cracks in tiles. And it was getting into cracks on floor tiles near shower and doorway. It also went under the floorboards outside the bathroom door so the carpet smells a bit if you stand there long enough. No idea how long this has been going on. When a builder checked it out, he noted several areas where the bathroom hadn't been sealed properly. e.g no grout on the floor and wall tiles next to doorway, no silicone around vanity unit. Patched everything with silicone and regrouted problem floor tiles (old grout was damp sand when I removed it).

By then I thought I may as well get the whole bathroom done so got quotes from a few builders to project manage for me since I don't know which tradies are good and don't have the time/skills to DIY myself. I wanted floor to ceiling tiles and mixer taps. I got a smaller shower and vanity, and changed the vanity to wall-mounted so there would be enough space to clean between (shower, vanity and bathtub were originally right against to each other) . Also wanted toilet floor re-tiled because it was also cracked. Quotes ranged from $12,500 - $16,500(!) which seems exxy for a small bathroom (1.9 x 2.5m). So far so good with cheapest quote and I know things could be worse, stitch in time, etc etc, but...that's money that could go towards other stuff, like my first IP. :(

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.