Bathroom quote - opinions?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Cimbom, 2nd Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Hello,

We have received the below quote for repairing a leaking shower in our IP (soon to be PPOR again) bathroom. The quote struck me as quite expensive, even by Canberra standards. It would be great to get some thoughts from others who have had similar work done or are more familiar with the going rates.

Asbestos testing ($300)
    Removing the existing shower screen
    Lifting the old floor and removing the bed and the bottom row of wall tiles
    Applying a new wet seal membrane to the floor and the bottom row of the walls
    Screeding a new 30mm raised bed and re-tiling the floor and bottom row of wall tiles
    Grouting the shower floor
    Applying re-seal to the wall and floor joints and the vertical grout joints on the first row of wall tiles
    12 Year Product Warranty
    Replacing the silicone on the shower screen
    Applying a penetrating sealer over the floor of the shower. This seals the floor grout and makes it water resistant
    Disposal of all rubbish associated with the job
    Client to supply tiles of their choice (this will only be a minimal number of tiles - enough to do re-seal but no more)
    Sub-total $3,000

Supply and install new shower screen
    Sub-total $1,500

Replace all tiles on walls and floor inside shower screen to create tiled shower feature (in the event matching tiles cannot be sourced for above - this seems likely)
    Sub-total $2,500

Total $7,000

For this price, I would expect a completely retiled bathroom not just a shower feature that would maybe take a few hours for them to do. I have read that tilers normally charge a max of about $70/hour or so, so I have no idea where the last quote for the retiling comes from. This is a small bathroom - about 5qm or so.

Should I try and haggle with them or get more quotes? The one consolation is the supplier seems very professional, they put together a video for us where they explained everything they are planning to do as we are interstate and have been happy to discuss the job with me at length over the phone a few times.

Last edited: 2nd Apr, 2017
  2. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Get another quote. I'll be getting the same done soon & I definitely will not be paying $7k....

wylie likes this.
  3. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

What do you think is a more reasonable quote?

4. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Seems expensive to me.

You can send a sample away and have it tested in a lab for $50-$70 assuming you have an appropriate mask etc. So the markup there is pretty high.

I would want more than a 12 month warranty.

I am currently doing a small en suite and small bathroom reno and will be looking at $15k ish total, which includes removal and disposal of asbestos walls. I am doing some of the work myself, though not much.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Can the tiles be matched?

If not, and they need to retile inside the shower screen area, they will also need to redo the waterproofing in this area too.

Where are they taking the asbestos samples from? If from more than one wall, that will increase costs.

6. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I don't think the tiles can be matched - especially the floor tiles. I had a look at a tile shop yesterday and couldn't find any that had the same texture. I'm not a fan of these tiles anyway and would be happy to replace them.

I don't mind the cost for the asbestos testing - it's all the other ones that seem extremely high!

7. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I've just emailed another two companies for quotes so will see what they come back with.

Any ideas on what would be a reasonable quote for the first and third parts of the above job?

8. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I was commenting more on the fact they have marked it up so much so what else is been marked up.

Cimbom likes this.
  9. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Oops sorry, that makes sense - thanks

10. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

I had similar done in canberra about 2 years ago.

I was quoted about 2.5k for the same as youve described for the first part.. this was through nuseal or something similar. The quote included video of what they were going to do.

I ended up going with a cheaper tiler .. cant remember the price but it was about $1500 or so. Had all kinds of dramas with workmanship and whether it was actually waterproof. Had to replace adjoining bedroom walls in the end. In hindsight i would have gone with the first more expensive company.

Cimbom likes this.
  11. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I have just had the main bathroom [its huge] completely gutted and rebuilt for $26,000 and the same for my ensuite for $15,000. It was project managed as I have no one who could help in any way. House is about 40yrs old and there was some asbestos removed.
    Knew when I bought the house bathrooms would have to be replaced and factored that in when negotiating price.

12. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Yes, we were told it will be 15k if there is asbestos found. It seems unlikely and I hope so because it is a relatively new bathroom meaning there will be no real 'value add' from that kind of spending

13. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Canberra so expensive.

On asbestos - you say relatively new property. Asbestos has been banned for quite a long time. I don't think you could put an argument that a building less that 20 years (+10?) is an asbestos risk.

14. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

What's going on here? That's boosting the total price up. Is this a large area or something fancy going on? Are they supplying tiles. ?

15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

OP is supplying tiles according to the first post.

16. bob shovel

that was only mentioned in the first line item though
    there's something fancy going on in the 3rd

17. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

The house is not new but the bathroom was renovated just before we bought it. I'm not sure if they removed the sheeting (if it exists) before doing the work although the guy who gave the quote thinks it's likely they did.

The first part of the quote is assuming we can find matching tiles. If not, then we were thinking to retile inside the shower (floor and walls) with a different feature tile. We are supplying tiles in both instances.

18. bob shovel

so the total price is only $4500 then? to redo the shower as per 1 and 2

19. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Yes, it will be 4.5k if we can find the same tiles. I think it will be a bit tricky though as the floor tiles have an unusual texture

20. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

An extra 2.5k to retile ~5sqm inside the shower after all the prep work & waterproofing is done in the other 4.5k of work.....

That's $500 /sqm just to install.... get out of here. Seriously?

Cimbom likes this.