Bathroom, kitchen, laundry quote

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by jins13, 12th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Still currently obtaining several quotes and researching. I know there's several people doing unit renovations, so maybe this can assist people.

Bathroom renovation total cost: $16000 + GST
    Demolition; Plumbing; Waterproofing ($800 extra for a waterproofing certificate); Floor tiling (300mmX300mm); Wall tiling to ceiling, or to 2.1m if the ceiling height is more than 2.4m (300mmX600mm); Supply and install the following items:
    1 X Roca L20 Basin Mixer
    2 X Roca L20 Shower Mixer (one for shower & one for bath)
    1 X Posh Solus MKII 5 Function Rail Shower Kit Chrome
    1 X Posh Solus MKII Bath 1520 x 755mm White
    1 X American Standard Cygnet Toilet Suite
    1 X PHD510 Bohle Curved Bath Spout 180mm Chrome
    1 X 6408D-810 Suttor Double Towel Rail 810mm Stainless Steel
    1 X 6405 Suttor Towel Ring Stainless Steel
    1 X 6404 Suttor Toilet Roll Holder Stainless Steel
    1 X 6401 Suttor Robe Hook Stainless Steel
    1 X Toughen Glass Sliding Door Shower Screen
    1 X 900mm Mirror Cabinet
    1 X 900mm Gloss White Polyurethane Finger Pull Soft Closing Doors And Drawers Vanity With Legs
    1 X Vanity Popup Waste
    2 X 100mm Tile Insert Floor Waste (if sand and cement layer is less than 25mm, then use standard floor waste)
    Total cost does not include painting, tiles (materials) and rubbish removal (skip bin).

Bathroom renovation total cost: $14000 + GST
    Demolition; Waterproofing ($800 extra for a waterproofing certificate); Floor tiling (300mmX300mm); Wall tiling to ceiling, or to 2.1m if the ceiling height is more than 2.4m (300mmX600mm); Supply and install the following items:
    1 X Roca L20 Basin Mixer
    1 X Roca L20 Shower Mixer
    1 X Posh Solus MKII 5 Function Rail Shower Kit Chrome
    1 X American Standard Cygnet Toilet Suite
    1 X 6408D-810 Suttor Double Towel Rail 810mm Stainless Steel
    1 X 6405 Suttor Towel Ring Stainless Steel
    1 X 6404 Suttor Toilet Roll Holder Stainless Steel
    1 X Toughen Glass Single Panel Shower Screen
    1 X 750mm Mirror Cabinet
    1 X 750mm Gloss White Polyurethane Finger Pull Soft Closing Doors And Drawers Vanity With Legs
    1 X Vanity Popup Waste
    2 X 100mm Tile Insert Floor Waste (if sand and cement layer is less than 25mm, then use standard floor waste)
    Total cost does not include painting, tiles (materials) and rubbish removal (skip bin).

Laundry renovation total cost: $6000 + GST
    Demolition; Waterproofing ($800 extra for a waterproofing certificate); Floor tiling (300mmX300mm); Skirting and splashback tiling (300mmX600mm); Supply and install the following items:
    1 X Goulburn Laundry Tub And Trough 45L
    1 X Mizu Drift Gooseneck Sink Mixer
    1 X 100mm Tile Insert Floor Waste (if sand and cement layer is less than 25mm, then use standard floor waste)

Kitchen total cost: $12000 + GST
    Blum soft closing doors;
    Hafele soft closing drawers;
    Satin white polyurethane handless style;
    20mm stone benchtop Snow White; Thassos White; Gravel White; Castle Black; Castle White or Hurricane;
    Delivery (to ground floor only);
    Cabinets & benchtop installation.
    Total cost does not include the following (cost indication only):
    Sink - handmade satin brush 1.2mm thickness 304 Grade drop in sink ($300);
    Mixer - gooseneck sink mixer ($180);
    Kitchen demolition ($1000);
    Plumbing & electrical works & appliances installation ($2500);
    Splashback - Stone ($2000); Tiling ($1000);
    Floor tiling ($3000);
    Complete home interior painting - walls, doors & ceilings ($4000);
    Bulkheads (TBC);
    Rubbish removal (TBC);
    Appliances (TBC).

WattleIdo likes this.
  2. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    $800 extra for waterproofing certificate!

qak likes this.
  3. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I agree that it's a complete rip and another reason why I didn't pursue further with this company. I find that overall, all companies in Sydney are charging an arm and leg to do anything. I also thought that it was abit deceiving that with the "total cost does not include....", which makes the quote seem cheaper than what's stated.

I guess this was used as a guide/ possible indicative figure of what to expect for people.

4. euro73

if you are prepared to source materials and project manage the trades, you can either save a lot of money of spend the same amount but with higher end finishes.

But if you cant be on site and need a company to source materials and project manage - this is what happens...

5. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Your specifications are great BUT what is your overall budget as a % of property price to be spent? Must be careful you do not overcapitalise or undercapitalise....for every $1 you spend!
    I renovate differently, depending whether it is for rental or sale or my PPOR, based on state, demographics, even on the type and value of my IPs.
    For example, a cosmetic Reno say in SYD for $650K unit would differ for $1.5 million house or unit for that matter (I would budget otherwise...e.g. why place wall tiles all the way up for cheaper IP, you may not necessary increase rent or sell value - unsure what you plan to do with the property after Reno?).
    Also, don't forget to ask for work start and finish times and timeframes in quotes, add holding costs, many forget and may go with cheaper quotes only to find out they need to wait a month or so for them to start...
    For a cosmetic Reno as a very general guide I would stick to maximum around 10% of the price.

6. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Of course, I was able to renovate a whole house with cladding and roofing for around the $40k mark. Big money to be made for some people.

7. euro73

well no one works for free- except mortgage brokers :)

jins13 likes this.
  8. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Thank you, but this isn't my first reno and more for information sharing of prices that a a reno company may charge if they did the whole lot.

9. euro73

Yeah its pricey.... Australian trades make unbelievable money compared to elsewhere in the world.

10. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Bathroom Renos, IMHO, are
    A clever bathroom renovation is one of the most effective ways to uplift the value of your property, second only to the kitchen and can create equity or higher rental yield.
    It is probably one of the most trade-intensive rooms in the house to renovate, so it’s vital that you have overall project plan, which has:
    • an order of works (what tasks need to be done when and by whom)
    • scope of works (fleshing out the precise details of what needs doing)
    • costs
    • a timeline
    So you need to come up with a design (depends whether total redesign or can you keep plumbing in similar place to save costs?). Then your produce your project plan. Obtain quotes and hire trades. Need a plumber and electrician for disconnection followed by Demolition then do the 'roughing in' (if require new locations for pipes/light switches ). Choose fixtures and fittings so trades don't need to wait. Waterproof and tile next. Install fixtures and fittings, painting and lights in.
    Is sounds simple enough but not such an easy Reno if you don't know what to do...
    Also, need to know what one can do and what to leave trades to do (e.g. waterproofing, electrical, plumbing).

11. qak

qak Well-Known Member

More than 20 years ago we had a $25k quote for a bathroom renovation ... I think that was all inclusive, but it was a pretty average bathroom, not moving plumbing. Fred Rose did not get the job!

Got the 'mates' to do it for about $4K, all inclusive.

12. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

So what are your costs compared with total outsourced costs, perhaps you can elaborate on that?
    Sorry I am a bit confused from the title of your thread, on quotes, wasn't sure what you are asking to comment on?

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Absolutely - how else can a tradie afford to buy a house in Sydney? Ridiculous wages and conditions, someone has to pay for it.

As a project manager I charge half as much as I'm worth yet it's twice the amount you'd want to pay. :rolleyes:

TSK, Otie, Ghoti and 1 other person like this.
  14. Karen_17

Karen_17 Member

Hi, I'm just starting to get quotes for the same renovations (kitchen, bathroom, laundry) and I'm pretty sure I got a quote from the same company that provided you with the above. I thought they were a budget option but I was quoted very similar prices to yours, except $2000 more for my laundry and $1000 more for interior painting. Going to keep researching and will hopefully find some more affordable quotes.

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@jins13 for tiles try Tile Factory Outlet. Renovation Kingdom also have some good stuff if you need to self source mate.

jins13 and bob shovel like this.
  16. oneone

oneone Well-Known Member

@jins13 dumb question, but did those amounts include the items you listed (eg. sink, tap etc) ? Or is it purely labour ?

In the next year I'm looking at a total apartment reno too, so starting to look at qoutes (kitchen, bathroom, floorboards, repaint) One of those reno companies gave me a very very rough estimate of about $100K and I almost hung up in shock. I might go the route of sourcing individual tradies and 'project manage' though I have not much idea. The part that worries me a bit is gettingn all this past strata, it might be easier to just have the one company do it.

hijacking thread a bit - does anyone have a reliable and reasonably priced structural engineer and builder ? I'm looking to knock down a kitchen wall to open up the apartment.

17. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that @Leo2413. Such a price discrepancy with tradepeople's prices from Sydney and other areas.

I laughed when I saw the quote because there were so many items that were not included such as skip bin, tiles and having to pay for waterproofing. I believe the quote does include things such as sink and tap. Like you, originally I was thinking of getting one company to do everything but with some of the quotes received, better off for me to project manage the work myself to save money.

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Try getting trades quote for Bondi . Day light robbery. I get most of my ppl from the West.

fols likes this.
  19. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Additional 30% Bondi levy. Just like the treatment my colleague receives from living in Drummoyne.

fols and bob shovel like this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

They think they can get away with charging whatever they like. Ah no. Think again . Just give the West my business.