Bathroom door near kitchen?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by wylie, 15th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've attached a plan that works well for an IP we are updating.

The kitchen used to be in the top RHS (you can see the old stove recess), and we are turning that into a bedroom.

Best place for the kitchen is to remove the wall that used to have french doors to what used to be an open L shaped verandah return. We would open up the walls and this space then becomes part of the living area. By pushing the kitchen into this space, we lose a small office/play area, but gain a much more beneficial large open plan living area.

Question - Is it legal to have a bathroom door opening off this area, beside the kitchen. I know it is not ideal, but it is a compromise I'm prepared to make for the benefits we gain from having the kitchen here.

We could have one door off the kitchen with a "walk through" euro laundry and another door into the actual bathroom. That would give us an airlock.

And I'll make sure the toilet isn't visible from the kitchen.

fullsizeoutput_3fbf.jpeg

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

In WA you can't but I've seen it many times here so I don't think it's well enforced. I gather you are mainly referring to having a toilet in the bathroom. Having a bathroom without a toilet off kitchen is AOK.

Officially (here in WA) you need a double door system like you have outlined

3. wylie

Anyone know the rules in Queensland?

Thanks @Westminster. We can make the entry to the bathroom a "walk through" Euro laundry and make it two doors but it might start to get squeezy.

4. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I know it's a compromise that you're willing to make, but do you think it would detract potential renters? I know that I wouldn't consider living in a place (either renting, or PPoR) that had a toilet straight off the kitchen (it's usually not the visibility of the loo that's the concern - more about the odour........... :eek:)

5. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I have been in a couple of Queenslanders with bathrooms straight off the kitchen so it may be fine in older houses? Both were in Coorparoo.

6. wylie

Interestingly, the bathroom right now is right off the dining room (which now is the back bedroom in the middle). We can put the kitchen in the diagonally opposite corner, but that cuts the living area into two distinct smaller areas. And that L shape (where the kitchen is shown now) would be left as either a small office area, or flowing to the living area. But being an old verandah, the roof changes and slopes down and that works better with a kitchen than trying to make it look like part of the main living area. It makes it all "bitsy".

We can have the "euro laundry" open off the living area (if we leave a bit more wall there), which means the kitchen is a bit smaller, but it allows entry via the walk through Euro laundry and we then can put a slider on the bathroom.

So from the living room you'd look at cupboard doors and not into a bathroom.

I like this idea, but it makes the bathroom smaller.

The perhaps that is better. I'd do this if I was living there.

Thoughts on this tweak?

fullsizeoutput_3fc1.jpeg

7. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

That one gets a tick from me :)

wylie likes this.
  8. wylie

Thanks @KayTea. I think this is better and the compromise of smaller looking kitchen is outweighed by not looking into bathroom.

And I guess the other benefit is that the Euro laundry is behind a door and not just behind kitchen cupboard. The noise will be contained in that airlock.

9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I like it better.
    The idea of a toilet opening off a kitchen, even if you can’t see it, is a bit yuk.
    I think the smaller bathroom is a worthwhile trade off, especially as you are also gaining a designated laundry.
    Marg

Propertunity and wylie like this.