Bathroom and ensuite reno with pics

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Momentum, 27th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

After the tenants vacated, the PM sent me pics of the bathroom with a badly chipped/scratched bathtub so I decided to pull it out and replace with a shower. The unit's located in Surfers Paradise so the demographics more suit a shower instead of bath.

[​IMG]

This is what the original bathroom looked like with a shower over bath and laundry tub with space for a washing machine.

[​IMG]

About 12 years ago I bought some natural stone which I laid on the vanity splashback and the dwarf wall separating the laundry from bath. Huge improvement eh.

[​IMG]

Now I wanted to strip out everything including the bath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty happy with the end result which feels like a bathroom in a schmick hotel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Looks better, cleaner and bigger! Great job!

3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Very good.
    You've done well tor a small space. Much more modern!

4. Momentum

A few more before and after bathroom pics..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Momentum

I did the ensuite at the same time..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EN710 likes this.
  6. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Cost? I need to do two.

7. Momentum

The waterproofing and tiling came to $5,500 for both rooms including tiles. I used 300x600 satin/matt finish white tiles on the walls (looks better than gloss, more classy). The floor tiles were 300x600 faux polished concrete look with aggregate. Total cost all up including cabinets, plumbing, tap fittings etc was about $12k. I saved a lot by doing it myself except for waterproofing and tiling. I was getting $350pw before and now getting $410pw so about 26% return.

WattleIdo and vbplease like this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What a big improvement. Is the lower shelf in the shower made for the shaving of legs?

9. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Great job! I agree with the matt tiles over gloss..
    Had you contracted out the whole job for both rooms, I reckon you'd have to double that $12k at least?!?

WattleIdo likes this.
  10. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

The current quote I got was about 20-30k for two, so it seems like it’s in the general ballpark. Granted this is in Brisbane and I think it’s a tad cheaper to get this done there.

11. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Looks really good! Love the ensuite too :)

12. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

They look great!

In Sydney that's a 20k plus job to do both bath bathrooms but that's giving the whole job to them and you touch nothing

13. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

Did you place power points under the laundry bench for the washing machine? Your tenants are going to have to use a ugly extension cord or I'd recommend you drill a hole at the back of the bench.

14. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I can't understand how trades justify $20,000+ on basic bathroom refurb's.

Looks AMAZING by the way.

namrata likes this.
  15. Momentum

Thank you I also like the way they finished up. It's great having a bigger shower and makes a noticeable difference. There was a thread here, some people think it's better to have a double vanity over a bigger shower but the extra space in shower alwasy beats the rare times both sinks are used at the same time.

Yes niches are popular so thought I'd put one in for shampoo but a friend (girl) said to put one below as a footrest for shaving legs. Instead of doing niches I screwed lengths of 70x35mm pine together, vIllaboard, waterproof and tiled with a single 900mm tile. The walls are rendered brick.

Yes I think at least 20k for both rooms if they did everything and managed the trades. Tiling worked out more than $100 per sqm but a few trips are needed to w'proof, screed, tile, grout .. they're all separate visits. The tiler said he gets $450 a day. DIY isn't just about saving money though, everyone gets a buzz from renovating and changing a place.

Funny you ask cos I did forget to put one in the first time but remembered later (before tiling!) and now have a gpo in the washing machine cavity.

16. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

One critique/comment with the bench the way it has been built forced the use of front loading washing machines and this may exclude some tenants.

Otherwise impressive job, and a huge improvement.

17. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

Nice reno, well done, it must've given you a lot of satisfaction. I notice the shower roses are different, any reason for that? I'll be renovating a bathroom soon but not sure how to set it up, whether to use a rail with handheld shower or a different configuration.

18. Chivaun.Shortis

Chivaun.Shortis Well-Known Member

It really opens up the space and yes it looks like they are in a schmick hotel in surfers. Well done. You did a great job.

19. Momentum

Thanks. I did think about it (I've got a top loader) but the extra space from having a benchtop running across made me decide on that setup with a front loader. They seem to be getting more popular with people doing European laundries in new builds and reno's.

Thanks. I used a Methven kiri satinjet shower rose ($160) for the ensuite after reading about how amazing it is to shower with droplets of water colliding into each other to create a warm cushion around you while showering. In the bathroom I used the famous Speakman S-2005 ($35) which is used in famous hotels around the world and has over 2,000 reviews on Amazon. I love this shower rose and will use it again in future.

https://www.amazon.com/Speakman-S-2005-HB-Anystream-Pressure-Adjustable/dp/B0018LGZ04

WattleIdo and skyfall like this.