Bathroom advice needed - Melbourne

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by GASmelb, 17th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. GASmelb

GASmelb New Member

See attached image of a dated bathroom in an investment property that we want to put on the market in the next few months.

Looking for ideas for sprucing this up and making it most attractive to the buyer audience (without spending too much).

Initial ideas are:
    - (spray?)painting the tiles white - has anyone had any good or bad experiences with this? I would anticipate getting this done professionally.
    - New vanity top (maybe stone) and sink
    - changing tapware
    - potentially tiling over existing floor tiles (although have to wait to get back into the property to remember how bad they are in terms of colour)

The bathroom also has a corner shower (tiled walls in same matching colours and pattern), with glass shower screen on two sides.

Property is located in South East Melbourne - 2 bedroom villa unit price bracket of $500-600k

Attached Files:

2. Pins

Pins Well-Known Member

Is there a shower?

I haven't had the surface spraying done but have heard it is cheap and effective

I recently did a bathroom and bought most of my fittings and my wall tiles at bunnings. Very reasonable and look good. I bought a new monsoon shower head on eBay, and the mirrored cabinet at Reece (hard to find good ones that don't look cheap), and vanity at ikea. Came up looking a treat.

I also bought the shower glass at bunnings - set up as a wet room and looks stylish.

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Look into painting the tiles, not spraying you would want a good thick application.
    Replace the whole vanity, easier and more effective.
    Replace tap ware
    How's the shower screen? Possible replace, and replace tap ware to match.
    Should be under $3k do it yourself

4. Reno Crazy

Reno Crazy Well-Known Member

I think you are on the money with what you have suggested. I have had a bathtub sprayed it was $650 and the tiles on a small bathroom tiles was $1200 if that helps with your costs. I think that you would have to budget around $2K for your amount of tiles. If the floor is still good and no cracks, I just used a 're-grout' product where I didn't have to remove the existing grout and it freshen up a floor in a rental. It was a Davco product $30 from the tile shop.
    Also consider freshening up the silcon joins especially if mouldy. For some reason it is the first thing I notice in bathrooms.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia