bath taps

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by B-Man, 28th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

so silly me lacking some foresight didn't think how i would be doing the bath taps.

in hindsight i should of got the plumber to set it up for taps and a spout but didnt realise how hard it would be to find decent looking taps the same layout as what was in there

any ideas?

i had something like this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think the photo you put up is fine. New, shiny and looks okay to me.

3. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Last edited: 28th Oct, 2015
  4. wylie

That is nice. I was going to suggest this type of set up but for a rental (?) I wouldn't pay the extra.

We needed a similar fitting for a claw foot bath and wanted the Taos inside the curtain that ran in a complete loop to allow tapss to be used completely inside the curtain (stopping drips if controls were outside the curtain).

There was nothing available in shops to suit so we got a local metal and pipe place to make up the pipes to suit off the shelf tap fittings to meet our specific measurements and they had it chrome dipped. It was not expensive and gave us a bespoke fitting that worked and kept all the water inside the shower curtain.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It may pay to pull off one tile, rough in the correct plumbing and pick the tap you want - otherwise it will be wrong for the next 20 years.

Note - the existing spacing between the outlets will not suit the mixer tap that you desire.

Last edited: 28th Oct, 2015
  6. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

7. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Two options I can see -
    1. pull off tile - get plumber back and set up for the tap you want. Make sure you know what the setout needs to be for new tapware.
    2. Use a standard bath tap-set like you have shown above.

8. wylie

Can't you find a simple but attractive hot and cold tap that are nice (like the first photo)?

9. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

10. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

@wylie
    i did find this but would have to put a head on it and a spacer behind.
    https://www.masters.com.au/product/900007662/brasshards-unstyled-offset-female-bib-tap-chrome

id love to rip the tile out but i have no full size ones left.

@Scott No Mates
    ironically the one i linked to seems to have an adjustable measurement that does fit my spacings.

the other downside is the plumber put extenders on the original pipes from the wall and now there's about 15mm sticking out past the tile before the thread starts.

11. wylie

Better that you can build out to the tap with some fancy cover plate than the other problem (not enough pipe coming out from the wall).

Initially, I thought that masters one was kind of ugly, but with a nice chrome cover plate (maybe a rounded one to take up more spindle space and a nice chrome handle, it will look ok. At least it is new and shiny. I like the one Mumbai has linked to and the joined together ebay one up further (but you need to know if the spacing will work - which is why we had one made up ourselves once) but if money is an issue, then a simple masters one will cost less and you can always swap it out for something fancy down the track if needed.

12. wylie

If you go for something like this, you could see if you can get a local metalworker to cut the joining piece (trim each end where it fits into the tap piece) to suit your opening and rechrome it. The one we had made up was cheaper than the high end shops were selling for. Having this modified, or even seeing if they can make one up might be surprisingly competitive.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/bastow-federation-wall-mounted-exposed-bath-set_p5000556

13. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

14. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

i need 165 between wall pipes... sadly everything is 150