Basic question - monthly or fortnightly repayments

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by christianeatouggh, 30th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. christianeatouggh

christianeatouggh Member

Hi all

Just rethinking how i manage my repayments and was hoping to draw on the collective wisdom on this one. Currently on monthly payments but am thinking of switching to fortnightly. I have one SMSF loan of about 110K and two other loans. What do people who are on this forum, and are much more experienced than I, do in terms of repayments?

many thanks
    chris

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If you have an offset account with funds in it, it will make little difference.

Brady likes this.
  3. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Align the repayments with your salary/rental/income payments. So when you get paid, you make the payment.

Note if the lending is interest only most lenders don't give you a choice, it must be monthly.

Brady likes this.
  4. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Most will let you make at least a minimum of additional payments each year...if so desired

5. Tom Simpson

Tom Simpson Well-Known Member

If you're making P&I repayments then it's beneficial to pay fortnightly over monthly. There are 26 repayments a year where as when paying monthly you're paying the equivalent of 24 fortnightly repayments. You can imagine over a 30 year term this definitely makes a big difference.

If you're paying interest only then whatever is easiest.

6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

If there's an offset account attached to the loan, then there's no difference between fortnightly and monthly cycles. Without the offset account, there's a slight financial advantage to fortnightly.

Overall however, I'd suggest matching the repayment cycle to the income cycle. If you get your rent or salary fortnightly, have your repayments match. It's easier on budgeting and money management.

House and Brady like this.
  7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Be mindful, that some lenders, the amortisation schedule is adjusted so that fortnightl payments dont provide much of an advance.

fortightly isnt magic, ............... you are paying 8 % more with those lenders that are doing the 26 vs 24payments

ta
    rolf

House likes this.
  8. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Indeed - the old half month fortnightly payment trick is just that - it's no surprise that you making additional repayments will reduce the term and interest payable.

Stick to what payment frequency suits your pay cycle and budgeting method - the difference if any is marginal at best - the real savings are from having an appropriate lender, product and structure to begin with.