basement garage (new build)

Discussion in 'Development' started by Van-o, 11th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Van-o

Van-o Member

We are in the early stages of planning a duplex build in Melbourne. Narrow block. Currently thinking that basement parking for both would allow the best use of space and light.

Have been advised that we are looking at about $2000 per sq.m,, so ball-park somewhere between $150-200,000 for 2 double basement garages.

Would you do it?

Do you think the cost of the underground parking may be fractionally negated by a reduction in build cost by having less floorspace on the upstairs level ? (spend a big bit and save a tiny bit)

Any thoughts on impact on end value? Land values in this area are on the higher end ($2500 sq.m) so I don't think we would be over-capitalising but happy to get feedback.

Has anyone built a basement garage and can throw some advice our way?

2. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Not sure on the price for such a small one. Can you do semi basement? If you can keep the excavation and retaining walls to 1m in height it can keep the costs right down.

Van-o likes this.
  3. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@Van-o

Need bit more information to answer your question.

what's a size of land?
    How many bedrooms on each proposed duplex?
    can you get away with tandem car parking arrangement?.

most council in vic, if it is 3 bedroom, you will need 2 car parks for each duplex... if you are restricted by size of land and design constraint ,bite a bullet and do a small basement.

ttm can sort out cost effective parking solution for you at a small cost.

4. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

@Van-o i went through an architects home recently and he built a massive basement garage and man cave, space for 6 or so cars and it apparently cost somewhere in the 200s, he was saying a double/triple could be done for around 100k all up finished, so you may find it a bit cheaper than you think.

If the block is small/narrow and the suburb expensive enough to ensure you aren't over capitalising then it is worth considering, it can also make your ground floor and garden/courtyard more usable and functional.

The other school of thought is that you should spend money where it can be appreciated and enjoyed so if it means building a basement leads to having less budget for rest of project it comes down to what you're trying to achieve.

The home I viewed managed to have 450sqm of internal living on 2 floors and a pretty big garden with pool, kitchen/living/dining,study nook, guest bedroom/ensuite, powder room and we'll thought out entry on the ground floor on a 500sqm block.

In this case it was well worth spending the money parking the cars below ground.

Last edited: 12th Feb, 2016
  5. Van-o

Van-o Member

@Be Developer Land size is 671 sq.m (15.24 x 44) . looking at side by side duplex. Each to have 3 bedrooms. One must have a bedroom on the ground floor due to accessibility issues. The other will likely have all bedrooms upstairs.

Haven't considered tandem parking, will add that into the mix. Wouldn't be ideal but worth looking at.

We are keen to have 2 parking spots for each duplex.

Thanks @sanj .

Ideally we'd like 2 x 2 basement garages and each duplex to be 220 ish sqm over 2 floors, leaving a liveable outdoor area.

I worry that if we do above ground parking we will regret it.

6. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

Think very carefully about drainage!

I have seen plenty of flooded basement garages.

Marg4000 likes this.
  7. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@Van-o

At that land size, you most certainly don't need to do basement garage.

Enough width and depth to fit proposed dwellings!

May have to be little creative but doable!

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Not knowing the dimensions, no.
    I would try to build 2 story with at least 1 garage.
    There are 4 bedroom places around with 1 garage.

9. KCprop

KCprop Member

did you do the basement? if so how much did it cost?

10. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Depending on the location, but you could well have issues with two double car garages. "Rescode" limits the frontage taken up by cars. Double garage width is 5.5m add wall thickness and boundary (150mm setback) and you will need 6m per double garage - 12m from the site of 15.2, leaving 3.2m, take out common wall thickness and you're down to an entry only of 1.2 or so per house. Take into account the angle of the driveway to the basement and you'll have a fair old setback.
    Some Councils don't "like" boundary to boundary construction
    I'l be doing some design work to see if there is a solution
    Generally speaking basement car parking for two houses will be more expensive in $ and land that it's worth

11. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

What method of construction - piers and shotcrete or Versablock? I have seen a few examples around Surrey Hills area - PM me for details.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia