Basement Addition to Federation Home (Perth)

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by BasementJax, 28th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BasementJax

BasementJax New Member

We are thinking of retrofitting our 1933 built federation home with a basement garage, pool, cellar and theatre. Probably a small lounge entry corridor for the stairwell and access to garage as well. The house is sitting on brick piers which I presume will make the construction easier?

The house is also above ground level by approx 1m due to the street gradient. So figured that’ll allow ventilation as well with half the basement below ground for most parts.

Thought is with the build mostly underground, being a heritage listed property, it’ll have less issues with the city council though we aren’t sure how to incorporate an entrance into the garage with the driveway in relatively flat ground whilst preserving its character.

Problem is I can’t seem to find anything where people or builder have done something similar so thought of bouncing off this idea with you guys so hear your thoughts on it’s feasibility, costs etc.

Some pictures of the idea and existing cavity below the house to illustrate!

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Two words that sound very expensive... "basement garage".

Where do you park your cars now?

We dug down under our house, but we had head height already. Just had to dig down enough to get services under the new slab.

Most of our suburb is sitting on rock, so we ended up with a rock breaker and had to go up to 12" concrete blocks, and core fill them due to alignment of posts having to sit under a not quite straight back wall. It would have been cheaper to lift the house (with hindsight).

Keeping the water out has been an ongoing job for my husband. It was done properly back when we did the dig down, but with one large "weather event" water couldn't get away via the usual drainage to the street because of so much water having to find its way downhill.

But we are very well drained these days. No further issues (touch wood).

Because we walk out our back door to pool and outdoor area, but front of the house is full two levels, we only have to keep water from the back and one side of the house. It looks like you would have to keep water out from all four sides? That is more difficult, and more costly I'd say.

There is a house near us that has put cars under a low set house. And friends of ours have six car parking under their house, dug down, with other rooms as well. That cost a LOT of money.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This is a house that actually is up about three steps from the yard, and they've dug right underneath. One of the best streets, house was untouched for half a century, sold at auction for a high price and clearly has had at least $1m spent on it (my guess).

Perhaps get in a builder and get a ballpark figure. Sit down before he gives you that figure. ;)

Image 28-2-21 at 12.44 pm.jpg

BasementJax likes this.
  4. BasementJax

BasementJax New Member

Yeah, figured it’ll cost quite a bit... probably will wait till the current building craze die down a bit. I reckon we have about 1m clearance on the brick piers, but it decreases across the house because of the street gradient. So maybe a bit more to dig...

The original garage was converted into a kitchen to make space for an additional bathroom and bedroom in the last renovation. Did read about issues with water proofing on other sites, so thought we’d check with some builders with experience but couldn’t find any!