NSW Barangaroo Project

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by jins13, 8th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Just wanted to have a chat about some thoughts on my mind.

Was talking to a tradie friend who was telling me that many of the tradies are really busy in Sydney due to the Barangaroo Project which they are behind on schedule and was informed that due to that more money will be invested on workers to try to complete the project on time. He reckons that there will be an influx of overseas workers due to our trade agreement and the 457 visa conditions.

It made me wonder if once the Barangaroo project is completed, will this have any bearing the tradies presenting a more reasonable quote for their work and using the simple economics theory of demand and supply= less demand and high supply means cheaper quotes for all!!! I still feel that due to the low interest rates that we are still experiencing and other projects in the pipeline, there will be no bearings to the price or the risk of 'excess' tradies looking for work.

There still is tons for work for the new suburb in Parramatta called Camilla (James Hardie asbestos area), Green Square, the rail link with Castle Hill and the various developments happening around Sydney.

2. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Couple of years ago brickies were charging $1 per brick over here, due to demand its currently ~$2+.

I'm waiting for the price to come back down to get some work done.

3. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

As a simple laborer I was told $2k in hand

4. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

You forgot to mention the new developments out west to house 1.7M people.

If you're waiting for cost of labour to come down you'll be waiting a couple of decades.

ej89 likes this.
  5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Some dodgy things happening with that place, money under the table, standover tactics. Heard another worker got injured yesterday, that will probably increase with the pressure to complete the work quicker and focus on profits over safety.
    But upon completion there is the potential for more available workers I suppose.